Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:42pm - Dec 25,17 
Wasn't sure under what board I could ask this, I hope is ok in here.

I need to build/purchase a DC voltage regulator (12V to 7.4V) to run my brand new heated glove liners. I know I should be able to build one with just a few components, if anyone is knowledgeable enough to guide me as where from to buy the parts, I would really appreciate it. Also I will need two male DC power connectors, the problem is I have no idea what size they are. Is there any brick and mortar store I could take my connectors to and see what size/part number they are ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Dec 26,17 
How much current will your gloves draw when powered by the 7.4 volt supply ?
You need to know this in order to choose a voltage regulator semiconductor that will handle that specified current draw.
Measure it with an amp meter. The current draw will also dictate the size wire and connectors your in need of.

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20pm - Dec 26,17 
dupagewader wrote:
How much current will your gloves draw when powered by the 7.4 volt supply ?
You need to know this in order to choose a voltage regulator semiconductor that will handle that specified current draw.
Measure it with an amp meter. The current draw will also dictate the size wire and connectors your in need of.

Dave

Without having any extra connectors to play with, I can't put the meter on it (I don't want to cut any wires on my gloves or battery packs). But looking at the battery capacity and the available hours on a full charge, I'd say I'll need 1.5 amps for each glove for the highest setting. So either a single regulator rated at 3 A, or two separate ones, for 1.5 A each.
As far as the connectors go, I don't have any room to play around it, they must match the ones that are installed on the gloves. That's why I was asking about a store I can take them to, maybe they will be able to at least tell me what size/part name they are.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:56am - Dec 27,17 
You should head over to American Science- Foster and Central, it's 5316 Milwaukee. You might be able to find something there, even if you don't you will love the place.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25am - Dec 27,17 
minnow wrote:
You should head over to American Science- Foster and Central, it's 5316 Milwaukee. You might be able to find something there, even if you don't you will love the place.

Thanks, i will give it a try.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49am - Dec 27,17 
Don't know of any store that will reverse engineer your connectors.

The American Science is a fun store but I don't think they will have what you need.

My best advice would be Digi-Key corp and use their web site/book and shop for your connectors.
Use a Harbor Freight digital caliper and take measurements of yours.

Possibly post a picture of the connector you have with close ups of any manufacturer logo.

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Dec 27,17 
dupagewader wrote:
Don't know of any store that will reverse engineer your connectors.

The American Science is a fun store but I don't think they will have what you need.

My best advice would be Digi-Key corp and use their web site/book and shop for your connectors.
Use a Harbor Freight digital caliper and take measurements of yours.

Possibly post a picture of the connector you have with close ups of any manufacturer logo.

Dave

Thank you for the link, I think I found what I need :thanks

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/PJ1-022-SMT-TR/CP1-022PJCT-ND/659939

Board index » The Podium » Digital World
Jump to: