Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:40am - Jul 21,17 
The lower stocking numbers have done their job. With less predators the alewife has rebounded to an extent that what fish have been stocked as far as salmon and trout are reaching larger sizes. The good thing is even though there are less fish, there are still enough to be caught. From this site and others I have seen some nice kings. Lately I've been seeing a lot of 25's and a few over 30. A coho was caught that was 23 or 25 lbs, just huge. I know not all fish are monsters out there, but the average size is finally getting nice after many years. I know this is no secret and old news as many of you have been pulling in this years fat fish. I wonder what the final size outcome will be come fall when the fish are done growing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49am - Jul 21,17 
Love to see the bigger fish. Where did you see the report of a 23 or 25 lb Coho?? The IL and IN state records are in the 20lb range and 40 years ago.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:17am - Jul 21,17 
Yea I don't think there have been any Coho that large.

30# Kings and near so far in Salmon-A-Rama: http://standings.salmon-a-rama.com/

Check out the Kayak standings, Rob W. hard at work again!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19am - Jul 21,17 

Well folks ,its official,-Another Limit Charters boated a second place State Record thanks to Paul G .The scale at Port is 1/4 lb off (positive) not negative like I hoped...Still a fish of a lifetime!!! at 25 3/4 lbs.
.State record IS 26 LBS.1.9 OZ COHO caught in Milwaukee 8/21/99
Congrats Paul !!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:00am - Jul 21,17 
blackjaw wrote:

Well folks ,its official,-Another Limit Charters boated a second place State Record thanks to Paul G .The scale at Port is 1/4 lb off (positive) not negative like I hoped...Still a fish of a lifetime!!! at 25 3/4 lbs.
.State record IS 26 LBS.1.9 OZ COHO caught in Milwaukee 8/21/99
Congrats Paul !!!!!

Nice, too bad that wasn't caught 40 miles south, would have blown away the IL state record!

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Jul 21,17 
I remember '98 and '99 as being very similar to this year. It's very special and it doesn't happen often, so get out and take advantage before it changes again.

I have to think the lake levels coming back up and the influx of nutrients have a lot to do with the seemingly rejuvinated baitfish populations, but I am still preparing to be told there is no bait...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:51pm - Jul 29,17 
I'm not a Lake Michigan angler, but I went to Alaska in 2000 and we we catching Silvers (Coho) in the Kenai River that were averaging about 15 pounds - on bass spinning gear. Now that was an experience.

At the time the reports were that 5 pounders in LM were the norm. I had no idea such giants swam in the big lake.

Board index » Lake Michigan » General Lake Michigan
Jump to: