Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Feb 23,16 
I'm looking for some advice from Charter captains, small boat captains and the rest of the guys trolling this spring in and around the Government Pier. Every spring us pier guys run into problems with all boats (Big, small and everywhere in between) running very close to the pier including cutting our power lines. This spring from the way it sounds may have some boats out earlier than most years. Usually by the second week of April we have to stop power lining because your yelling for the boats to go out further to not cut your lines. How do we all work together so we can still power line and the boats can still troll in harmony?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32pm - Feb 23,16 
Don't fish near a boat launch? That seems like a logical way to avoid boats cutting your lines...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:42am - Feb 24,16 
That would be great advice from the great one if in fact we were fishing in the boat lanes. Reality is we are fishing on the South side of the pier 100'-200' down from the mouth of the harbor. Is there a flag we could hoist or use an air horn to warn the boats that we have power lines out?? I'm sure it's not cheap for a boat to get our power lines all wrapped up in their lines or better yet their lower units.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:07am - Mar 9,16 
Now that it's getting closer and the boat ramp at Waukegan is clear a lot of small boats will be out and trolling Closer to shore any ideas from some seasoned Waukegan guys? Just trying to avoid some costly issues for me and you. Anything work for others in the past?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:12am - Mar 9,16 
I guess just be prepared to pull your lines in when you see a boat coming toward you. That's what I would do if I was planning on sending a fishing (or any) line that far out into the lake anywhere near a harbor that has a lot of boat traffic. I would think if a PowerLine were to damage somebody's boat in any way, the power liner would be liable for the damages.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21am - Mar 9,16 
I'm going to try red flags attached to my floats.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - Mar 9,16 
Machesney EyeHunter wrote:
I'm going to try red flags attached to my floats.

Small helium party baloon attached to your bobbers will be very visible to any boater heading towards your lines.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:10am - Mar 9,16 
Guys, I am trying to see what and how to fish along side the boaters. I've been power lining Waukegan pier for 30 plus years even when the walkway was there and we had to throw the spikes while swinging them between the steel supports. Listen, the last two years I've had Charter boats full with clients catch my spoon while I was casting off the pier, not even using a power line. That's how close they get. I'm not asking to have the whole lake to myself. I'm just asking for some information from guys in boats on how to avoid problems between them and the guys on the pier. I don't see how I'm liable for any damages when we blow horns and Hollar and blow whistles to warn boats that we have lines out. I do pull my main line in if a boat fails to avoid my lines but remember I still have rubber stretched out there and there's nothing short of pulling it in to avoid a boat. That seems a little far fetched considering that triangle of an area we fish in on the South side of the Government pier is not the only place that holds fish in the spring. I'm talking from the lighthouse to the tip of the north rocks area. Any common sense answers other than to just give up Powerlining? I feel those types of answers are a little selfish considering most boats have the whole lake to troll and you can only powerline at a few spots.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:18am - Mar 9,16 
Shaguna, I agree that the act of intentionally running through anybody's fishing line is just plain wrong. As long as the line is clearly marked I would do everything possible to avoid it, and would hope others would also. I see this from both sides as I am both a shore fisherman and a boat fisherman. If I am casting in one of my favorite harbors that allows it, I will always yield to boaters because I have seen fishing priveleges taken away due to those who weren't so considerate.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:20am - Mar 10,16 
I've had a few issues fishing up there. The other issue is how far your rubber band is out there. Ive had mine snagged multiple times. Not sure how balloons will help that.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:25am - Mar 10,16 
Please keep this on track. If a boat is intentionally running over your lines, the Coast Guard Auxiliary is right there at the harbor to report the incident. If you start retaliation, you will loose and another shore opportunity will be taken away.

The OP asked a valid question. If you have a suggestion, please post it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:02am - Mar 10,16 
Is there a rule/ regulation that boats must be a certain amount of distance from shore?

GS

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:27am - Mar 10,16 
This is and will always be a problem maybe a sign that says fishing lines out how many feet etc. But i'd say still wont help for the occasional guy doing it on purpose..I'd be careful lots of towns have a no projectile ordinance you can't even hit a golf ball in a park in my town..

Board index » Lake Michigan » General Lake Michigan
Jump to: