Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12pm - Jan 17,16 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN8TcAOp588&sns=em

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:21pm - Jan 17,16 
NIce! I will get one for the yelloweye up in Alaska. We've been using an upside down heavy jighead with the barb filed off.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51pm - Jan 17,16 
Pretty sure that's about the same principle as parking a semi truck on top of me, then rolling it off five minutes later. Like to hear a scientist's view point on this.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:03am - Jan 18,16 
from the reading I've done, venting and descending release improves survival, but there's still some immediate mortality and some delayed mortality. It's still a lot of trauma, hard to reverse it

Looking on google scholar, there are a bunch of papers on it. This is a recent one

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10. ... 15.1074968

I am sure there are a ton of factors, such as the species, the depth caught, the water temp, how fast they are reeled up, etc. I recall reading some tagging and tracking studies of bass from tournaments, and there was a heck of a lot of delayed mortality, even after successful release.

Personally, I try to keep every perch caught over 40 feet, unless it is a really tiny one. And if it doesn't feel big, I take my time reeling it up

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07am - Mar 10,16 
Check out the video here.

http://www.ecoleeser.com/product.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20am - Mar 10,16 
I don't buy it. I'd like to see their methods. What constitutes survival? Are they monitoring the fish for 15min, 2hrs, 24hr after they're returned to depth? The only "deep" water fishing I regularly do is perch, and I don't feel ethical at all releasing fish in water deeper than about 40ft. I could see having something like this on the boat if I were halibut fishing or something similar and was legally required to "release" some other species I might accidentally catch. Then I'd feel like I was doing all I could. But I don't think it's ethical at all to cull fish from the depths to get a bigger fish or worse yet to catch and release fish from deep water for "sport".

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Mar 10,16 
When I used to fish walleye tournaments we would attach lead ice fishing depth indicators to the fins. This would right the fish in the live wells and keep them in good shape for the weight-in. After release they typically swam away. Can't comment on the survival rate. Interesting thing in Lake Erie. We would typically troll for walleye in the top 5-15 feet of water. This would be over deeper water 30 plus feet. These fish swam near the bottom but shot up to feed. The walleye almost always were belly up in the live well. Another way would be to "Fizz" them. Inserting a syringe tip into the bladder to release the air. This always got them right side up. Not sure of the survival rate. Few things they don't show you on the walleye tournament TV shows. Also on Lake Erie the DNR mandated that tournaments be all kill, no release. After weigh-in all tournament fish were loaded into a cooler truck and donated to benefit the community. Our issue was the tournaments required us to bring in the fish alive and swimming upright. Then they killed them, 100%.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:26pm - Mar 10,16 
southshore wrote:
I don't buy it.

Did you read the first paragraph of the video link I posted? Marine biologists have studied its success and claim an 83% survival rate.

Board index » Lake Michigan » General Lake Michigan
Jump to: