Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Sep 12,16 
Hi everyone,

I recently returned from active duty service in the military and will be around until next summer. I'm looking for some spots to shore fish on the kankakee river to pass time. All I have been able to fish is North and South Island in Wilmington since I know I can park my car and cover a decent amount of water. I would like to venture up river and try some new spots. Not looking for any secret spots, just general locations where I can park my car and fish a decent amount of water from shore. My favorite species to target is walleye, but I enjoy catching smallmouth and pike as well. Thanks for the help.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Sep 13,16 
If you want to fish up stream, there are miles and miles of public access through the state park, both off of rt 102 and 113. I would try around the Warner Bridge Rd access. Plenty of good structure and access around there.

Don't rule out downstream of wilmington either. Milliken lake, The adjacent Prairie Creek, and everything from Milliken all the way to I-55, and across 55 to the trap ranges is easily accessible.

There are a number of "holes" (thigh deer or better) in those trenches that will.hold walleye year round. With miles and miles of access tho, it's going to take time just scouting and dialing them in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:06am - Sep 14,16 
Thank You for your Service and Welcome Aboard. :goodjob :flag

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:36pm - Sep 14,16 
Thanks for your service and welcome aboard. You should look not for spots from shore but look to wade the river it really is the only way to be effective. This is a great time of year to get your feet (old gym shoes and socks) wet. The water temps are still pleasant and you can look to get waders as thing cool and fishing improves. Look though the posts from "creekyknees" and you'll really speed up your learning curve. On this site look at the USGS River Flow and that will save you from making trips when it is not safe to wade. Good luck let us know how thing go. I mainly fish a mile up to a half mile down from the I55 bridge simply lack of time. The State park 102 113 are prime waters

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:13am - Sep 15,16 
I've been hunting the State Park the past few years so got the urge to wet a line when I was down there last weekend to do some pre-season deer scouting. Boy was that a mistake...water was super high, turbulent, and dangerous. Make sure to check the USGS River Flow before heading out whether you are wading or not. Warner Bridge, Rock Creek, Boat launch near Warner Bridge are all good access points. Also, if you don't mind a challenge you can park anywhere in the park and bushwhack your way to the river....just cant be out there during hunting season if you're a non-hunter. And yes, if the water is low enough and safe for wading I could see wading being the best way to fish the river. Also when the water is low you can walk almost the whole bank in the State Park stretch. Have never caught a fish out of there, but only had one outing so far, so cannot help with that. I will definitely be giving this river some more attention though. From what I've heard cranks, spinner baits, jig and plastic, or jig and minnow should be good tactics for smallmouth and walleye. Good Luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:14am - Sep 15,16 
Welcome to Chi-town Angler, Thank You for your service. The USGS River Flow data can be found at the top right corner of the page if you scroll up.

Guys that wade that section of river (Grindstone & Fishcatcher): Which gauge location(s) should he be looking at on the USGS site? What would be a safe gauge height and flow for him to look for? Or, what would be an unsafe gauge reading for him to be cautious of?

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:52am - Sep 15,16 
I don't fish the river, but wanted to welcome you aboard and thank you for your service. :thanks

Your site name is priceless. :D

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:13am - Sep 18,16 
I once caught a nice pair of walleye back to back under the station st bridge next to the bridge pylons using a yo Zuri crystal minnow. It's a pretty snaggy area and I was fishing from an anchored canoe. Any of the bridges along the river should hold fish as the supports create deep pockets and current seams. If I were to fish the Kankakee today, I would actually use a drop shot rig, just because of the snag hazards. 4 lb test line from the hook to the sinker for easy break offs that will only cost you a sinker, and not a lure. That being said, I would also use steel and not lead for the bell sinker.

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38am - Sep 18,16 
Fishcatcher recommends all the spots I used to fish on the river. Hunting area 9 (or is it 7- I always forget) was my favorite access point. I would then wade upstream towards Warner Bridge. I also liked parking right at Warner Bridge and wading upstream from their. The state park has a lot of little islands and eddies to fish. I had a magical eddie that would always produce for me in the spring. Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:41pm - Sep 20,16 
grindstone wrote:
Thanks for your service and welcome aboard. You should look not for spots from shore but look to wade the river it really is the only way to be effective. This is a great time of year to get your feet (old gym shoes and socks) wet. The water temps are still pleasant and you can look to get waders as thing cool and fishing improves. Look though the posts from "creekyknees" and you'll really speed up your learning curve. On this site look at the USGS River Flow and that will save you from making trips when it is not safe to wade. Good luck let us know how thing go. I mainly fish a mile up to a half mile down from the I55 bridge simply lack of time. The State park 102 113 are prime waters

thank you for the mention . there is quite a bit going back to 2003 just use creekyknees in the search function

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Board index » Rivers » Kankakee
Jump to: