Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:12pm - Jul 28,14 
I'll be out almost everyday this week, so I'll just post everything in this thread.

28 Jul 2014
Fished the state park this morning. I ended up with 4 smallies. Temperature was low 60's. Water was clear, but with a brown stain to it, over a foot of visibility. I didn't see a lot of baitfish, but the fish caught had minnows in their mouths.

Location 1
1 fish caught on a 5" Big Hammer Ringer worm in green pumpkin. The fish was sitting in slack water near a tree at the tail end of an island.

Location 2
3 fish caught on a 1/2oz Rat-L-Trap at the tail end of a waterwillow island which sat up stream of a set of riffles. I was trying to change lures and probe the island with swim jig/Swimbait combo when I dropped my pliers in the water. I tied on various Swimbaits and soft plastics since I wasn't going to throw the Rat-L-Trap if I didn't have the right tool to safely release the fish.

I did have a nice blowup on a 5" Roboworm EZ Shad Swimbait in Ghost Minnow pattern.

That's it. I'll be out tomorrow morning, concentrating on the island that produced the fish today. I'll also be bringing some top waters.

I took some pics. If I get into some nicer fish, I'll post them all up later.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Jul 28,14 
Thanks for the post Joe!
Howard and I got out Sunday morning. Had two swings and misses on topwater and that was it. Been a bit slow for us lately. Ended up in a creek and caught a handful of Rockies each.
Always good to get out though.

Good Luck and Be Safe,

John

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:13am - Jul 29,14 
29 Jul 14

Location 1
Fished the swift current of an island. Using a modified buzzbait, I made casts 45 degrees up stream and reeled fast enough to activate the buzzbait. One fish was caught at the head of the riffles.

Location 2
Fished behind an island that lead into swift, deep water. I caught 2 bass and one gar using a 3/8 skirted swimjig and a 4" chigger craw. I had a fat one come unbuttoned when he broke the surface. I had multiple subtle hits well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21am - Jul 29,14 
Love that top water bite, nice post. i will be living vicariously through you while stuck in this cubicle. :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41am - Jul 29,14 
I love that top-water bite too! Unfortunately, I couldn't get it going. I tried above riffles, at the head, the back end, and the pools/eddies. I also threw a crank bait and rattlebait with no luck. They were quite happy having a fat crawfish bounce along to where they were staging at the end of the riffle near deep water though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:05pm - Jul 30,14 
30 Jul 2014

Skipped the river today. Instead I fished Delavan with a buddy of mine. Early topwater bite, then skipping jigs and Texas rigs under docks resulted in near 50 fish total.

I'm exhausted, hitting the Kankakee tomorrow late afternoon/early evening.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:56am - Aug 1,14 
31 Jul 2014

Hit a different stretch of the river. Fished head of riffles, riffles, tail ends, behind islands, behind any type of current break...basically we just pounded the area for two hours!

1 big drum on a rattlebait behind an island in the current seam. Total excitement from strike to discovery, then disappointment.

3 small smallmouths on buzzbaits
-1 in riffles
-2 above

Wading the area, I realized most of the area was limestone with small areas if gravel, sand, and chunk rock/boulders. I expected to get more fish behind these boulders and rocks, but I'm wondering if there just isn't a large population residing here due to large areas flat, featureless limestone.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:17pm - Aug 1,14 
those large limestone flats don't have much to offer the fish in terms of current breaks or forage

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:15pm - Aug 1,14 
Exactly! The surface features looked very promising, but when we picked the area apart, the only real structure was waterwillow islands and boulders spread out. The surface gave a very different impression of what the bottom was composed of.

1 Aug 2014

Struggle bus all day. Fished very fishy areas with chunk rock/blunders, plenty of current, deep channels near by...all to no avail. Well, one SMALL small mouth on a 4" Keitech Swimbait. Between Monday and today, water levels dropped and clarity improved.

That's it. Back to the salt for me.

Board index » Rivers » Kankakee
Jump to: