Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:27am - May 27,18 
She fired right up . We trolled for a while , then decided to try a drift . Turned it off . started it up for reposition of another drift , turned it off . Wanted to do another drift , and it wouldn't start . DEAD . Turned over like crazy , tried the push choke , pumped the bulb , it seemed like it lost the spark . the kill switch was still up . I have owned this boat for a VERY LONG time and am very familiar with it's attitude . Usually it doesn't have one . Any one got any ideas ???

Thanks

Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:50am - May 27,18 
If it was me I would really check out that kill switch, I have had problems in the past with one .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:38pm - May 27,18 
Stator or Power Pack is a possibility. If you've got a Voltage Meter you can test these yourself. If you need Help in how to test these parts you can call CDI Electronics 256-772-3829. Very Helpful People that'll walk you through your testing from how to do it to what your numbers should be when testing. Just went and did all the above on a friends 60hp 1978 Mercury. His problem was both Stator and Power Pack. Same problem as you. Running one minute, No Spark the next.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:05pm - May 27,18 
Ditto on the Stator, Mike gave out doing the same thing. Got it fixed at Dee's Marine Mchenry.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:08am - May 28,18 
Would the Stator or Power Pack , going bad , give you weird , various RPM readings ??? That has been happening ..

Thanks

Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55am - May 28,18 
Weird rpm readings indicate bad rectifier, had one melt on my 86 merc 150 once. Turns out nut backed off the post and wire jiggled on post causing spark, since that's where your tach ties in ,every spark makes tach jump. Your stator is directly connected to your rectifier so if stator is going bad as had been suggested, it would cause erratic tach as well. I don't know the year of your Merc, but on the 86 testing the stator was easy, just disconnect the yellow leads from rectifier, place an ohm meter between them and check the reading. Go to your manual or look up online the correct resistance for your stator. If the value is not in spec, then your stator is shot. Visually check under your flywheel where your stator resides, if it looks like dripping candle wax, then your stator is shot. You also have a trigger switch under the flywheel by the stator( unless you have a distributor, and i pray you don't) The trigger is what tells the coils to fire. And zero spark could also be a trigger switch problem, but that usually presents itself with one bad bank at a time. I would first check that stator and rectifier too as indicated by your erratic tach, bad rectifier could burn out stator so if you only replace stator you will burn it out again. Hope this helps

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 High Seas quad rod trees
4 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - May 29,18 
MOST EXCELLENT INFO ,,,, THANK YOU ,,,, PM sent ...

Walldady

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: