Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21pm - Apr 20,18 
Just thought I would share this fun purchase.

So, was in the market for a pontoon boat trailer to pull a current 22 foot pontoon boat.

A local guy says, Hey I have a pontoon boat I will sell cheap, the motor is no good and the seats on the boat are torn but it is a new Triton cantilever type trailer in great condition. Only catch was, had to take the entire thing to get it out of his yard.

DEAL! Bought it way cheaper then expected and figured I could part out the motor and boat on eBay and Craigslist to make the money back.

While hooking the trailer up I asked, so what is wrong with the motor?

He said it would not start and so he had a friend look at it and the friend told him the motor was trashed. I said, oh, what did he check? He said he just cranked the motor and based on the noise it was making said the motor was bad. YUP! That's right, the guy NEVER took to cover off the motor.

Well the battery was trashed, sitting in a boat for 5 years without being charged , DUH. Purchased a starting battery for it figuring if this thing is trashed, at least I can put the battery in the other pontoon boat so no loss. Got the new battery and this thing just did not want to crank, I mean, yeah it cranked, slowly, extreme laboring.

Took the cover off the motor and seen the bendix gear was stuck. I tried as much as I could to get it to retract like it should. I removed the starter and I was spinning the starter by hand and I could feel it grinding. I took it to the local Auto parts store and he hooked it up to his starter tester and the grinding noise it was making was horrible. Ordered a new starter, just one of those cheap replacements off eBay for $45. When it arrived I hooked it up and this baby cranked beautifully but no start. I checked for spark and it had spark. I checked compression and all 3 cylinders were at 100 psi.

I sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs and it "tried to start" for a split second. It was not getting gas, ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit. Rebuilt the fuel pump, tried to start and all it would do was back fire. Also, since the boat sat for 5 years, I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel tank and put the line in a gas can with fresh gas, I figured the gas was no good and the tank most likely need to be cleaned.

Now at this point I have not put a lot of money into it and was not convinced the motor was bad, I had spark, gas and compression, it should start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Backfiring,,,,,,,,,,,,hhhhmmmmmmm that seems like timing,

I get on YouTube and find a video of a guy with the same issue and he sheered the key on his flywheel. He said in the video to make sure to use a genuine Mercury key (woodruff key) because he used one close but it was a sloppy fit.

Ordered the key from the local Merc dealer, only took a day to get in, cost $2.15

Pulled the flywheel and sure enough, the key was sheered. Put the new key in, torqued it down, cranked it up and it started. I was shocked, I had the mickey mouse ears on it for cooling but there was no water coming from the weep hole so I immediately shut it down.

I pulled the lower unit and took the impeller off and it was dry rotted and cut on the blades of the impeller, hey this thing hasn't ran in 5 years!

Ordered the entire impeller rebuild kit instead of just an impeller. Also ordered a new seal kit for the lower unit, I mean it has been 5 years since it ran and the lower unit was off so why not maintain that as well??????

The kit should be in next week, I will keep everyone posted if you are interested?

The risk of buying the parts was worth the reward of a boat, don't you think??????????

For your entertainment, check out the video.

https://youtu.be/B7C4elPilAQ

Last edited by Rubicon on 10:38pm - Apr 20,18, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:36pm - Apr 20,18 
OH, and yeah, I will be doing a major "catch up" on the maintenance of this motor, I just wanted to get it running first.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:24am - Apr 21,18 
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: