Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 09:21pm - Apr 12,18 
Anyone have any feed back on these dual purpose deep cycle vs deep cycle only?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43am - Apr 13,18 
Monk, here is some info that might help:

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0149.pdf

Deep-Cycle Batteries
Trolling motors and other accessories sip power at a slower rate for extended periods. Batteries that power them usually aren’t recharged until the end of the day. These deep discharges are hard on battery plates, so deep-cycle batteries have fewer yet thicker lead plates than cranking batteries and are built to withstand deep cycling.
A deep-cycle battery’s reserve capacity (RC) rating indicates how long it can carry a specific load before falling into the dead zone. The higher the RC number, the longer the battery will power your accessories. Remember this when choosing a battery. Typically, a deep-cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a cranking battery. A deep-cycle battery also can withstand several hundred discharge/recharge cycles, while a cranking battery is not designed to be totally discharged.
Dual-Purpose Batteries
It’s usually best to install separate cranking and deep-cycle batteries. If your boat is small, however, and there’s only room for one battery due to space or weight restrictions, consider buying a dual-purpose marine battery specially that handles starting and cycling. Bear in mind, however, most dual-purpose batteries won’t start an engine quite as well as a true cranking battery and won’t endure as many deep discharge/recharge cycles as a dedicated deep-cycle model.

Semper Fidelis
and
God Bless America

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:40am - Apr 13,18 
I can highly recommend these guys: http://batteryservice.wpengine.com//

They are in Bensenville and can help you with questions. I have been buying batteries for work and play from them for 15+ years.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:52am - Apr 13,18 
When I bought my boat in 2010, I purchased 3 new batteries. Interstate Cranking Marine, still working today. An exide deep cycle battery and a dual purpose prostart from pepboys. I have to say the dual purpose battery has been really handy and performed well, I have used it to start my main engine when I thought I had a main battery issue (turned out it was a terminal issue) also used it for my trolling motor and performs well. I typically troll on lake michigan so my trolling motor doesn't get much use except for trips up to Wisconsin and occasionally perch. Anyway I always like the extra insurance of having another cranking battery on board if the main crapped out. The dual purpose outlasted the normal deep cycle by 2 years. However the exide battery from menards to me was a cheap battery and performed cheaply, but since I don't use the trolling motor that much it worked for me. So I am a fan of the dual purpose batteries.

What is your battery situation, boat size? Number of batteries?

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 10:17pm - Apr 13,18 
Thanx for the input, didn't realize how many battery companies were out there till I started replacing two at once. Still doing homework, will be in contact with ya N9PHIL

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:52pm - Apr 15,18 
Ive used Optima Blue tops paired with a minn kota on board charger and run a dual battery setup. Both batteries are of the "Combo" variety and I cant say enough good things about them. For the most recent pair, i used the amazon prime buying option and had them delivered to my door in 2 days free shipping. no complaints there either although I've read that you are somewhat rolling the dice by going that route in terms of battery damage etc.

SC.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: