Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:59pm - Nov 20,17 
Hey guys, I recently bought a boat with a 2006 Honda bf 90 on it from Florida. The boat was from people that lived on a fresh water lake and they said it had never been in salt water . Anyway to make a long story short I took it out to try it out and the engine kept overheating at higher rpm then the engine would kick down to idle . The flow indicator continually had a strong stream of water coming out of it and the engine would not overheat under half throttle . Went home and did some research and found a lot of people having the same issue and finding that the water jackets would get clogged up with salt deposits if not properly flushed, so I decided to start checking it out . First I took out the thermostat and found that it had a build up of corrosion on it so I kept going and eventually ended up with the head off so I could clean everything out. It was full of corrosion, I’m glad I took it apart so I wasn’t always wondering. Anyway it’s time to put things back together and was wondering if anyone knew what the torque specs and procedures were? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Nov 20,17 
you are going to have to buy a service manual
Honda uses STRECH torques and usually require new bolts
first all the bolt threads and block threads are supposed to be cleaned and lubricated they two steps of minimal torquing followed by a degree of stretch
example
10 inc pounds sequence
35 inc pound sequence
33 degrees stretch
Note

just a example actual torque specs have to be looked up in proper service manual
also will come in handy for properly installing timing belt PROPERLY

there is a descaler that works well to clean the blocks with out total disassembly

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Nov 21,17 
Just curious. I am sure before buying a used boat, you took it for a test ride first, before you bought it. Did it show the same problem then?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45am - Nov 21,17 
ThatBoat wrote:
Hey guys, I recently bought a boat with a 2006 Honda bf 90 on it from Florida. The boat was from people that lived on a fresh water lake and they said it had never been in salt water . Anyway to make a long story short I took it out to try it out and the engine kept overheating at higher rpm then the engine would kick down to idle . The flow indicator continually had a strong stream of water coming out of it and the engine would not overheat under half throttle . Went home and did some research and found a lot of people having the same issue and finding that the water jackets would get clogged up with salt deposits if not properly flushed, so I decided to start checking it out . First I took out the thermostat and found that it had a build up of corrosion on it so I kept going and eventually ended up with the head off so I could clean everything out. It was full of corrosion, I’m glad I took it apart so I wasn’t always wondering. Anyway it’s time to put things back together and was wondering if anyone knew what the torque specs and procedures were? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

This does happen a lot with fresh water lakes especially in the south but up here in the north as well when it a cooling like and not just Honda motor
some thing to try if this happens to you seems to work very good
pull lower unit drain eng. oil if its a 4 stroke
turn eng upside down take funnel fill cooling system with descaled like we use to clean pontoon boat let it sit for a day put it upright drain it do it one more time reinstall lower unit fill with oil etc run motor for 10-15 minutes with thermostat out install new thermostat
This usually fixes this type problem with out major disassembly learned this from salt water guys long years ago

Note !! only put the descaler in the water tube that goes up into the power head don't just put it in the mid section !!! better yet bring it in let me do it

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:57am - Nov 21,17 
Thanks Frank . I have a manual on order but don’t know when it will arrive , just getting Anxious to get it back together . If all goes bad I will be in the market for a new 90 hp :shock . Hopefully not !

Have rod will travel wrote:
Just curious. I am sure before buying a used boat, you took it for a test ride first, before you bought it. Did it show the same problem then?

I did try the boat when I bought it but didn’t spend much time running above half throttle so the problem didn’t show itself. I didn’t know the lake and didn’t want to take a chance running into a submerged Hazard . If I had it to do over again I would have done things different, the people seemed honest. Right now I’m only out about 200 bucks for gaskets and some of my time so hopefully a good lesson learned.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:17pm - Nov 21,17 
Just in case anyone needs this Image

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:38pm - Nov 21,17 
I did try the boat when I bought it but didn’t spend much time running above half throttle so the problem didn’t show itself. I didn’t know the lake and didn’t want to take a chance running into a submerged Hazard . If I had it to do over again I would have done things different, the people seemed honest. Right now I’m only out about 200 bucks for gaskets and some of my time so hopefully a good lesson learned.[/quote]

Live and learn.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:52am - Dec 3,17 
if the head is off check it for cracks now they often crack around exhibits valve if overheated

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: