Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:13pm - Feb 25,17 
Friend of mine is getting a new (to him) boat and he wants to get a good boat to shore radio for the big pond. What would you guys recommend that would go under $200 ?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:29pm - Feb 25,17 
Mine crapped out last year, and I picked up a Cobra at Bass Pro for about $140, and it works great. Cost of the radio isn't as important as the quality of your antenna.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:59pm - Feb 25,17 
X2 for Tom's comment, get a good antenna

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 01:00am - Feb 26,17 
Most radios are good. Make sure its a submersible one. A big feature I really like are the ones with a second speaker in the Mic. You can hold it to your ear when running and hear very clearly if you have a loud boat. I also am a huge fan of a built in GPS so you don't have to rely on a link from your chart plotter. I have a Icom M424g and I really like it. Very clear and Loud

As the others have said get a good antenna. The antenna is the most important part of the system. You seriously get what you pay for. The cheaper ones are no more then a stripped coax cable. You can get maybe 10 miles out of a cheap on. A good one should get over 18. and depending on your height much further. I use the Shakespeare 5225-XT

Remember its now how far offshore you are. its how far you are from the people you are tying to call for help.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - Feb 26,17 
i like the standard horizons with dsc hooked to a gps and good antenna
best safety equipment you can buy besides a life preserver
especially for a newbe on the big lake

same price as a lot of the cheaper radios seems to last a lot longer compact and easy to find a good mounting place

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:23pm - Feb 26,17 
Thank you for your insides, I passed him the messages.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - Jun 26,18 
Also lookin to install radio in a 17’ sylvan. What length attenna would u recommend? Haven’t picked radio-out either any combos out there u could recommend! Thanks for any feed back

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:11am - Jun 26,18 
I have an 8ft antenna on a ratchet mount on my 16 foot sylvan. Thought it was overkill at first, but i get clear communications with it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:51am - Jun 26,18 
I too have an 8’ Shakespeare antenna on my 19’ deep v alumacraft boat. I was able to hear radio traffic from guys north of Kenosha from my spot south of Waukegan on Sunday. Prior to getting that installed I had a hand held which worried me because I had to rely on getting a hold of a boat close to me who could transmit to shore if I had an emergency. Best investment on my boat so far.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:45pm - Jun 26,18 
I’ve read a lot about antennas, they say taller the better, and the best quality u can afford! Since they work on line of sight. 24’ or less 4’, but then in the other breath they say half the boat length to the tip depending how u mount. Enough said 8’ sounds good and ratchet style mounts. Now what about a dependable radio? Cobra f45, standard horizon eclipse, standard horizon gx1300! Any thoughts? Thanks

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:29pm - Jun 26,18 
The Icom M424 can be bought for $240 on line now. That’s about 1/2 what they were two years ago when I put new ones in Manipulator. We have two Standard Horizons with their own 8’ antennas and a Raymarine handheld. I’d get the M424 if I were redoing them today.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:08pm - Jun 26,18 
Digital Antenna 922-MW or MB is as good as you can get.

I have Standard Horizon GX2200 in all my boats along with backup SH handhelds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:02pm - Jun 26,18 
honda cat wrote:
i like the standard horizons with dsc hooked to a gps and good antenna
best safety equipment you can buy besides a life preserver
especially for a newbe on the big lake

same price as a lot of the cheaper radios seems to last a lot longer compact and easy to find a good mounting place

I second that!

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01am - Jun 27,18 
Put an 8 ft Shakespeare on our LUND First radio check was 30 miles over land.... Not sure what distance we could get over big water..... I would think it would be pretty far....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50am - Jun 27,18 
on these antennas would u recommend 3db or 6db? Lot of questions just want to buy once. Maybe specific model numbers, to help cut down on wasted time searching internet! Way to much to dig through. Will also need info on what needed to setup boat properly, I know it’s a lot to ask, I will continue to search this site as I know most of this has been discussed before. Also will be needing some gear, maybe stuff not being used anymore ur wanting to unload! This is all new to me, usually fish inland lakes. Again thanks for all the help

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:15am - Jun 27,18 
riverturd wrote:
on these antennas would u recommend 3db or 6db? Lot of questions just want to buy once. Maybe specific model numbers, to help cut down on wasted time searching internet! Way to much to dig through. Will also need info on what needed to setup boat properly, I know it’s a lot to ask, I will continue to search this site as I know most of this has been discussed before. Also will be needing some gear, maybe stuff not being used anymore ur wanting to unload! This is all new to me, usually fish inland lakes. Again thanks for all the help

Here's the Shakespear 5225-XT that Storm Warning referenced and is also the model I upgraded to:
http://shakespeare-ce.com/marine/product/5225-xt-vhf-marine-band/

Zero complaints with this antenna. I regularly hear radio transmissions from the guys fishing Waukegan as well as Indiana while fishing out of Chicago. This antenna can be purchased for less than $100.

As for a radio, the prices on these things can vary greatly depending on brand. I wanted one with DSC, GPS capabilities and programmable memory scan that was also compact and wouldn't break the bank. The Standard Horizon GX1300 fits this bill and can be found for less than $130. It does, however, require being hooked up to a GPS chart plotter via NMEA wires for the GPS capabilities to work. If you want a radio with built-in GPS because you don't have a GPS chart plotter, this is not for you. Here's the link to the radio: http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=559A711EE2A16C78F46FB142998C39E6&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

I also like having a backup handheld VHF on the boat with built-in GPS, DSC and one that floats. I have an older model but the new version is the Standard Horizon HX870 which can be found for about $200.
http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=F074C5751E79473FCD911FF7D468A2E1&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: