Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - Jan 3,11 
Wanted to open this to the forum, but also hoping Frank from Calumet can help with some of these questions.

I am looking to get a new Hummingbird GPS/locator system. I have an 18' Crestliner that I primarily salmon fish, out of Pastrick with and my current Lowrance is on the fritz, loosing it's signal. I also bought a handheld GPS which is all over the place from a speed perspective. So this year I've pretty much been fishing blind and I need to resolve before this coming season.

I plan to get a Hummingbird combo. I am between the 788ci HD DI Combo and the 597ci HD DI Combo. Other than $150, I don't see options on the 788 that I would actually use. Again, I only have an 18' boat and my main goal is to have precise speed display and excellent sonar for locating fish and bottom contours. I run manual riggers so there's no need for all of the networking capability or screen recording in the 788. So my question, is the 597 a good choice based on this or would you recommend the 788 and for what reason?

My other question is on the down imaging. The pics from the down imaging technology look awesome and the main reason I am thinking of these 2 models. Am I on the right track here or should I move down even further to the 597ci HD Combo unit which only has the SwitchFire Sonar?

My last question for this post is, do these units come with transducers or is this a separate purchase item?

thanks
Tom

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35pm - Jan 3,11 
T-Bone, I've got a H-Bird 597ci HD Combo and love it. Exceptional picture, it not only has the Switchfire option but comes with Dual Beam Transducer which is included,{20-60 degree} A SD card slot for mapping etc. Better options than the Lowrance Elite 5X which was about the same amount of money except you have to purchase the transducer seperately with the Lowrance. Just stating my opinion, I feel it does the job for me. { Very Good field of vision even in direct sunlight on the screen, where you can change the contrast of the screen as the sun hits it} Jerry K :D

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 07:32pm - Jan 3,11 
Do some research on the transducer. Most of the transducers that come with the FF are junk but on some of the new side/down imaging units they are fine.

I would go with the 597 without down imaging. The 788 and 597 both have the same screen resulution and power. I'm not a fan of down imaging. Down imaging takes your full color HD image and makes it black and white image. With black and white you cannot see the densitys of the structure/fish you are marking nearly as well as if you were looking at a color HD display. so for me its like taking this new HD sonar technology and throwing it away. I can care less about seeing a tree clearly under water. I more intrested in the type and position of the fish around it as well as the bottom density.

HTR

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59pm - Jan 4,11 
Tom
in the last two years have not done a lot with the humming bird stuff
so i will ask derek to respond to this post he is a electrical computer engineering grad from perdure he trys to keep up with the newer stuff
he does all our installs on the network systems
But i can tell you this humming bird makes some great units especially the bang for the buck
i had a matrix 97 some years back and could not belive the difference in the display and over all satisfaction with the unit when i upgraded to a quadra beam transducer
night and day difference !
They are tough to beat for most applications short of multifunction displays with radar ect.
you might want to see if you can find one of these 97s some place on clearance
i paid over 900 dollars when they first came out seen some on close out as low as 300 bucks lately

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21pm - Jan 4,11 
Thanks for the input guys. And Frank, for some reason I thought you guys outfitted most of your boats with Hummingbird. I must have gotten my wires crossed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08pm - Jan 4,11 
Tom
we do a lot of hummingbird stuff but mostly for bass and multi species boats
With the big box stores selling a lot of product non current and discontinued stuff at less than we can buy it for it don't pay to stock a lot of it
we SELL ALL MAJOR BRANDS but must be competitive. We are the most competitive with high end networked systems with sonar radar auto pilot gps
We are the only current NMEA certified dealer in the chicago area
Not that we do not want this business every job and customer is important to us
you don't have to spend a huge amount of money to get a good fish finder gps these days
just need to use the right tool for the right job.
As always thanks for considering us for your business be happy to help any way we can
we will get Derek to comment on the models you have been reserching for mostly salmon fishing on the big lake correct?
when you decide what will be best for you i can quote you a price installed or over the counter

Frank

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58pm - Jan 4,11 
Hey, Derek here i will try to shed some light on it for ya... I'm not a hummingbird rep but here we go...

the 700 series is the lowest model available with the latest and greatest hummingbird high speed networking technology... This networking technology allows you to

"Spend less time fiddling with wires and more time filling your livewell. Available with our latest 700 Series™ color models on up, new Humminbird® Ethernet Networking allows you to share views, transducers, GPS positions, and more." (direct from the hummingbird site)

in a boat with several network compatible units this is a useful tool that allows you to share everything without wasting time copying it to a memory card and to the other unit every time you add a new plot or buying the transucer switch for the some model units.

At calumet marine we moved away from the hummingbird units as our customer focus has migrated into the more high end applications. (fun fact) the side and bottom imaging technology was originally designed for police search and rescue applications. As far as fishing goes, some people swear by it and others can take it or leave it as you may have already read. Most people that use the imaging features are looking for larger recesses and shady spots that some races of fish frequently hide. but i cant speak for all those anglers out there...

The guy who told you to research the transducers is probably right because I wouldn't recommend an imaging transducer for any trolling application or any applications over 30ft deep. But the the switchfire feature is a very useful tool when fishing that should be considered.

Taking these things into account... for price sake.. and the fact that you wont be using the networking capabilities of the 700 series.. i can't really think of a good reason to shell out the extra cash. i hope that answers your questions... like i said i am not a hummingbird rep and since your choosing between 2 humminbird units i am sure you could call them.... but as far as transducers go... ya gotta be a little more specific with the fishing conditions you will be in majority of the time before i am comfortable giving you a real transducer recommendation..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:22am - Jan 5,11 
Thanks Derek
When he is not cutting large holes in dash boards he understands what we realy want to do with these tools !
Fill the box!

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: