Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:31am - Jan 13,11 
I have a business partner (real job not charters) who is about to finish a rehab of a summer home in SW Michigan on a small lake. He is starting to look for a 16 - 18' fish-n-ski or deckboat. It will only be used on the small lake. He needs something to fish off and ski/tube with the kids. It will be lift kept in the summer. He'd like to tow it (only 1 or 2 times a year short distance) with his wife's Chrysler minivan, So I was thinking aluminum. He's looking for used and to keep $$$ down. Any recommendation as to brands or leads to actual used boats for sale would be appreciated. Thanks.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13am - Jan 13,11 
My parents have a 17' Monark with a 75hp Mercury and trolling motor. It works well for both fishing and skiing, although an outboard they sell a harness that brings the rope out away from the prop. I tried to find their site, but it looks like they are now called SeaArk or Smokercraft. But never a problem with it and they tow it the Chain about once a week in the summer with a Honda Pilot, so I think the minivan would be fine.

It's not for sale, but just an idea for the style/weight you're looking at.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 11:35am - Jan 13,11 
nak983 wrote:
My parents have a 17' Monark with a 75hp Mercury and trolling motor. It works well for both fishing and skiing, although an outboard they sell a harness that brings the rope out away from the prop. I tried to find their site, but it looks like they are now called SeaArk or Smokercraft. But never a problem with it and they tow it the Chain about once a week in the summer with a Honda Pilot, so I think the minivan would be fine.

It's not for sale, but just an idea for the style/weight you're looking at.

I grew up fishing off a 1995 monark 16.5'. it has a 90 force on it and it went about 45mph so I am sure the 75 would be plenty to ski off of. great boat and never had a problem with it. It was stored outdoors with a cover for 10 years and we never did anything to it for winterizing nore did we take very good care of it and it still had no problems. It was used and abused and put away wet. It was the single console version. I think the 17 was the full windshield version. We towed it with a dodge carevan so it was really easy to tow. Star craft at the time had the EXACT same boat but a different color. I compared the 2 at a boat show and they must of come off the same assembly line.

HTR

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:51pm - Jan 13,11 
Calumet marine has a link at the top of this page.

They have a used checkmate for sale. It is more of a ski boat but it is a great boat and in excellent condition. I actually was the one who did the majority of the restoration. The floor was a little soft when I got it so I tore the whole floor out and refiberglassed in a new one. I rewired the whole boat with new lights, switches, steering system, bilge pump, and marine stereo. It also has new premium front seats in it. Also the whole exterior has been wet sanded and refinished. The boat is a lot of fun, gets up and really moves. And is affoardable from a reputable dealer.

I think this will be perfect and the boat itself is lightweight. I dont know the number but I used to push it around by myself by hand all the time.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Jan 14,11 
Steel head troller
sounds like a Hewes Craft 16' sportsman would be the perfect boat for you
its a boat that will out last the both of us with out a doubt

there are a lot of great boats out there but the best part of a hewes craft is their longevity
life time warranty the last boat you will ever have to buy
when we look at a new shiny boat its hard to consider some day it may be falling apart need a new transom leaking water windshield loose rattling
side trim boards falling off ect ect ect.
most of our customers are not first time buyers but you don't have to find your self with a boat thats needing to be replaced before you have a good close look at a HEWES CRAFT the number 1 selling fishing boat int he state of alaska for the last 25years + One out of two personally owned boat in the state of alaska are HEWES CRAFT
WHY? because they last and they are safe "no one to call for help here if you get yourself in trouble"
stop by and check out our hewes craft powered by Honda or Evinrude motors

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41pm - Jan 15,11 
here is a picture

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Tackle Box » Boats And Motors
Jump to: