Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Mar 3,19 
I couldn’t have asked for anything more in a dog over the past 12 1/2 years. There was truly not one thing I would change about Copper. The perfect dog in my eyes, from how gentle she was with the ones she loved, the dominance she showed to protect the ones she cared about, and the passion she had for the love of the hunt. She was always able to put a smile on my face and make a tough day a bit more bearable with her presence. She was always there for me when I needed her and never left my side when I was with her.

I wasn’t able to hunt with her as much as I would’ve liked, but based off the hunts I was able to join her on and based off the stories from my dad, she was one of the best. Taking the years of experience that was passed on by Penny and adding on her own standout qualities, if there was a pheasant in that field there wouldn’t be another dog I’d rather have chasing after it than her.

We formed an inseparable bond through the memories we made together fishing the Dupage. She had the same passion and drive as I did going out to that river and because of that, regardless of how the fishing was, she never turned down a trip to fish the river with me. Sure, she might have scared quite a few fish away through swimming in the holes I was fishing in, but I wasn’t there just for the fish. I was there because of the enjoyment it brought me seeing how happy it made Copper being outside doing what she loved. There wasn’t many other things that brought her the happiness it did by chasing and swimming after the wildlife that the Dupage had to offer.

One of the most fearless dogs around, she never backed down from showing her dominance as top dog. Whether it was a German Shepard twice her size or a pit-bull half her age in it’s prime, she let you know her spot in the pecking order. She truly was the top dog till her last breath.

A true hunter at heart, whether she was at home pointing the rabbits in the back yard, joining me at the river, nearly jumping off the docks after the ducks in Waukegan Harbor, or doing what she made for, pointing pheasants at Rooster Heaven. Always alert and on the hunt for whatever she could chase after, there were very few times the hunt was not on her mind.

She was relentless and had a motor on her that never stopped. Every time I put my jeans and boots on, she new it was time to hit the river and would go crazy running around the house until I opened the door to take her. Even during her last few years when she was starting to slow down, she never wanted to stop regardless of how sore she was. It was the huntin dog in her, she wasn't designed to stop.

She was my buddy and a member of the Cwiok family. She was the reason I started fishing the Dupage and I have no doubt she steered me in the right direction when I caught those elusive walleyes and monster smallies. It will never be the same going back to the Dupage without her, but I will continue to fish these spots because each hole I go back to will bring back the irreplaceable memories we shared together.

There are very few that I decided to share my walleye hole with on the Dupage, but the few that know, know that it is where I used to sit and spend the most of my time at on the Dupage with Copper. The countless sunsets we watched together, waiting for the prime walleye time to arrive, was the most memorable for me. It was a time to sit back and reflect on life and it was a time to spend the most peaceful and beautiful part of the day with the best dog I could ever hope to have. Because of that, we have decided for Copper and I’s walleye hole to be her final resting place. That way she will always be with me while I’m at the Dupage and continue to be my lucky horseshoe.

It kills me to see you go, but eases my mind that you are no longer in pain and have joined Penny once again. Thank you for the memories you have given us as a member of the Cwiok family, you were a good one girl, you will be hard to replace.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:18pm - Mar 3,19 
So very sorry for your loss AJ. I know how hard it is as I went through the same thing with my lab Bo of 13 years. My lab Thunder is will be 13 in August and I know that day is around the corner. As hard as it is to deal with the loss, always remember her memories will be with you forever in your heart and soul.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40pm - Mar 3,19 
Damn AJ, I am really sorry to Copper left the family. I think I have these right, I remember Copper had the shorter tail, if I got it wrong i'm sorry.

If you PM me your e-mail address I have all your old pictures, I can send them to you.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:19pm - Mar 3,19 
She was special......

Never turned down a run in the field, a trip to the river, or trolling for 8 to 10 hours never needing the bathroom. She passed at home, on her own terms. Just happy she didn't suffer.

Tom :bigcry

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49pm - Mar 3,19 
Sorry for your loss.It's always a heart breaking day when you lose your dog. Cherish the memories. RIP Copper

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 11:12pm - Mar 3,19 
So sorry for your familys loss. I hate how short the lifespan of a dog is but I couldn't imagine my life without one.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 11:32pm - Mar 3,19 
AJ, thanks for sharing. I remember her with your pop at Rooster Heaven many years ago. Keep her memory close.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:45am - Mar 4,19 
So very sorry for your loss, I have had 5 Vizsla's so far, they are nothing short of spectacular. Mine have all been hunters and adventure companions just like your Copper. Thanks for sharing your pictures and story about your amazing family member. Again my condolences, losing family is the worst.

~John and Adriana Urbanczyk, and of course Josee Vizsla too!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:37am - Mar 4,19 
The time passes to fast. Elvis will be 12 years old this July. Praying for one more trip to the lake.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:12am - Mar 4,19 
Sorry to hear about this, I understand the loss after having labs for 40 years. Wife and I got a rescue dog that fills the gap........

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30am - Mar 4,19 
Sorry to here about copper!

Dogs never die. They don’t know how too. They get tired, very old and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say “No, no not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.” Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor but that’s what dogs do. They walk.

You see, a walk with you is all there is. A walk with their best friend and the symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone and you. That is what makes their world perfect and in a perfect world death as no place.

Dogs just get very, very sleepy. That is the thing you see. The don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks and economics. They know so much there that they forget that dogs never die. It is a shame really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk too much.

When you think your dog has died, it has really just fallen asleep in the world and now lives in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging its tail madly, you see, and that is why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest? Ouch! Wap, wap, wap, wap, wap, that hurts. But they only wag because they are so happy to be so close to you.

Whenever they wake up in your heart they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer periods of time and you will too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but they do because they are a good dog. So understand that after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not “dead”. There is no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart and when they wake up, usually when you are not expecting it. It is just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. They miss so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.”

Last edited by colddriver on 10:27am - Mar 4,19, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:47am - Mar 4,19 
Sorry for your loss! Losing a dog is always a tough thing. You're losing a piece of your family. I dread the day that I lose either of mine. :(

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:52am - Mar 4,19 
AJ I only met Copper once , your dad was doing some work on the boat and Copper was on dock duty,she spotted my grandson and
with all the care and affection of a mom and her pup she welcomed him with a hearty tail wag and several kisses which left him some
what stunned and giggling
Dogs are reflections of their owners and not many are as lucky as Copper was to have a family like yours !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45am - Mar 4,19 
Sorry for the loss, She will be missed at the harbor.

Jeff - Man Cave

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:47pm - Mar 4,19 
Sorry for your loss AJ...My condolences to you and your family.....

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Mar 4,19 
Our deepest condolences to you, Tom and your dad. S-2 just won't be the same without her. Having watched her and the two of you grow up together, the bond between you was obvious. She apparently felt her job of raising you guys was complete. She will be missed but never forgotten.

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08pm - Mar 4,19 
I’m very sorry for your loss, you guys. I really believe animals have a quiet way of communicating some amazing life lessons. I’ve no doubt she left you with some.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:54pm - Mar 6,19 
Thank you ALL for your replies and thoughts.

You know you have to deal with this every time, yet you do it over and over again, because it's worth it.

It was difficult when Penny passed, but having Copper here to take us through it helped a lot. Not having that happy greeting now when I return from work each day is what I'll miss most.

There will be another Vizsla in our future, once the boys are done with college.

Thanks again,

Tom and the Boys.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Montlake Boulevard at Pacific Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98195

Post Posted: 08:41pm - Mar 6,19 
AJ13, We have never met. Words can't describe how sorry I feel for you loss. As a 3x Lab owner I understand. Had 2 put 2 down. Just really wish there was something I can say or do for you. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Board index » Game Bag » K-9
Jump to: