Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:41am - Dec 18,10 
I have a 55gal tank I set up with an underground filter. Instead of an an air pump, I went with a powerhead for this size tank. The problem is the opposite end from the powerhead has some film residue floating. Any suggestions out there? I will be looking to add 3 goldfish to the tank(1 for each child). Thank you for any replies, and have a happy holiday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:37am - Dec 18,10 
You didn't say how long the water has been sitting in the tank for but I believe
the film is simply dead organic matter, that has risen to the surface of the
water and is held there by surface tension and depending where you live, the water
can add to the problem. Softer water will add more film to the water.

I would have the water tested and if all is ok, its usually a problem that I have seen
with an underground filters as they don't create a lot of air bubbles to circulate/disturb
the water. They probably will ask you to check and add chemicals occasionally.

For longer term solution, get one or two Placostomous (fish) that help clean/eat this
organic material.

Last edited by dajord on 08:40am - Dec 18,10, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39am - Dec 18,10 
Thats a protein layer. I personaly would have two powerheads one in each corner uplift tube when using undergravel filtration. Did the filter plate come in two peices or a single plate ? If it was a two peice and you use only one powerhead head 1/2 the filter isn't working at all. This could cause a large dead spot in your substrate and cause tons of problems.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:04am - Dec 18,10 
The water has been sitting for 4 days now. the underground filter came in 4 pieces, and we opened all the tabs. I thought about adding another powerhead, but wasn't sure if that would cause resistance between the 2. If I were to add another powerhead, should I get the same size as the other or would a smaller 1 be fine? Thank you for all your input!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:13am - Dec 18,10 
i would get a bio wheel filter along with the under gravel

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05am - Dec 18,10 
A smaller one will be fine its all up to you. You can have 4 and they will not oppose each other. Most good powerheads also have an inlet fitting you can attach airline tubing to. This will make the power heads spit bubbles. This will help disturb the surface layer and help keep that protein layer from forming. I see no need to add a bio wheel to undergravel filters since they work on the same concept. Allthough it wouldn't hurt anything if you did.

As far as adding a pleco to "clean a tank" is very old and flawed advice. The common pleco sold in pet shops start their life as vegatairians eating alge wich is actually beneficial to a tank only to turn in into poop which isn't. As they grow they turn carnivours and are just another fish in the tank that gets very large and poops alot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:09am - Dec 18,10 
yeah my pleco got huge i put brine shrimp in there and he ended up getting pretty agressive but i found that with the bio wheel and the undergravel i could get lazy if i wanted too and could go quite a while without water changes i would simply just replace water that evaporated

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12am - Dec 18,10 
Thank you for the info! Going to the store 2day to add another powerhead. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:03pm - Dec 18,10 
i have a 72 gallon fresh water tank. i use two pwerheads and one 330GPM bio-wheel back filter. i never have any issues.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:08pm - Dec 18,10 
sorry, typo. it's 330 GPH.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 12:52pm - Dec 20,10 
Not sure if you went out and got the powerhead yet, but I have to ask what kind of goldfish you are getting? If you are getting plain cometd (feeders), they will be fine. If you are planning on getting some of the fancy goldfish, with distended bodies and extra fins and such, you might not want all that current flowing around the tank. They won't be able to swim or remain upright! In addition, I'm not a big fan of undergravel filters, as you have to a really good job of vacuuming the gravel to keep it from getting clogged. I much prefer external over the back type filters (like whispers), since they're easier to keep up with.

Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but goldfish are coldwater fish, and don't require a heater. Good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:20pm - Jan 2,11 
I will never tell anyone to use an under gravel filter. If you do not constantly clean the gravel and under neath they become silent killers. A used bio wheel yes used but not dry should be put in the tank a day before putting the fish in the tank. You will be introducing GOOD bacteria into the tank instantly and will multiply in that time. The fish need them.

I have been breeding and showing killifish for over 15 years, belonged to many local and national clubs and everyone has a bio wheel or some other real filter in use. No one that I am aware of has a under gravel filter in use.

Your water should be treated to remove the chlorine that the city puts there. Let your water sit for a couple days to bring it up to room temp. Even common goldfish can be killed by sudden temp changes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42pm - Jan 2,11 
Silent killers my butt. UG filters got a bad rap by people spouting the advertisments and propaganda put out by the so called better hang on the back filters. I bought into the idea myself. I have 8 emperor 400's now sitting unused in my basement because I thought they would be the end all of filteration. Now I'm gravitating back to UG filters. The pros far exceed the cons. Follow the recommendations for proper UG filtration and you'll be fine.

Oh and also as a guy that belongs to local and national clubs with a 59 tank fishroom pushing over 3,000 gallons of water I'm going back to a blower motor and all tanks running UG.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:01am - Jan 4,11 
Only 59 tanks? When I was activly breeding killies and ciclids there were over 100 breeder tanks and countless shoe boxes but that is another story.

By the way the next time you see Marty Greenwald or Joe Gargas tell them the Dirty Old Man said HI

Board index » The Tackle Box » Tanks Alot
Jump to: