Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:15am - Jan 30,11 
I've asked this question on another forum, with no help so far.

I have a 14ft jon boat and I'm interested in heading out onto the fox river to go after some smallmouth. I've identified the spots where I can launch along the river between Algonquin and Elgin, but I'm not sure about a few things:

1. River current; do I need to set my anchor, or can I troll around to fish the banks ?

2. River depth; are there places where I may bottom out ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39am - Jan 30,11 
The short answer to all your q's is yes .
You need to get out there and learn to read the water! The river changes quickly especially after a heavy rain. This section of the Fox averages about 3.5 feet but has some good holes that drop over 9. Many of the backwaters are filled with silt and are less then 18 inches deep. Go out the first time, keep your motors trimmed up and you'll be fine.

good luck
tony

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56am - Jan 30,11 
In general, the sections starting above the dams and going upstream for the first portion of each pool are deeper and easier to run in. Get in the upper half or so in the pools, and then you'll start to notice current and typically a lot more shallow water. Plenty of places that are only 1.5-2' in low water.

I can't tell you much about the river around Algonquin, but between Voayager's launch and the Elgin dam is a decent area to boat... can't speak to strategy for smallmouth though.

Shawn

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:01pm - Jan 30,11 
Really appreciate the input guys.

Voayager's launch will probably be my first trip out.

Shawn, not sure what my strategy for the smallies will be, but most likely I'll use tubes, craws, etc around any shoreline or island structure out there.

Again, thanks for the responses guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24pm - Jan 30,11 
around 90 a lot of the guys work the island by the bridge, moving south west side of river is the channel, once you start to make the right turn towards ECC becareful as it runs shallow about 1.-1.5. Next is tyler creek great sandbar right in front drops to 8-9 fow on the drown river side. 8 fow in the short run by slade st launch

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: