Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50am - Sep 29,10 
After a late start on Monday 9/27 I decided to wade the Fox River. I haven't waded or fished the Fox much at all this year. So I had a lot of exploring to do to find fish. This was done by both by foot and by car.

Fishing fast current proved unproductive. Currents were fished by drifting a minnow into current and letting the bait naturally fall into eddies and outside of breaks. This method didn't produce any fish for me and I spent a lot of time trying to drift and cast accordingly. The deeper holes I found had fast under tows and nothing was working in these spots either. I finally got a couple of missed hits and/or drive by in areas where the current was slowed downed by narrow passageways between islands. However I feel the fish were most likely carp. The bottom was murky with a foot plus of mud with rock below.

After awhile I moved completely. I just didn't think I was on them. At this point I was casting from the shore into moderate current with no pronounced depth I got two small fighters in this area - not very deep. I fished some more with no more hits. At this point I hoped in the car and headed north a ways.

This area was greatly saturated deep in mud - some spots up to my knees. What a work out. After wading through the area and past the almost none moving water I found some chest deep holes with some pretty fast water. I had to maneuver around this as I have already determined this water was not going to produce, at least according to my earlier efforts.

I made my way north of a sharp bend and cast into a deep outside break near the shore that had a lot of coverage from trees and roots and just outside the current. The area was between a muddy bottom and swift current with a semi-rocky bottom. This area produce a few more fish me. However I switched out the minnows to a small purple ice jig with a purple plastic "blood worm" tail. These fish were bigger, go figure.

The best part of my day was picking up my daughter at the bus stop and hitting up a lake. She pulled in her first large mouth through a slop of weeds and did quite well in handling herself and letting the fish swim out before she reeled again. She also is becoming quite the photographer as she took my digital and decided to get some "Nature" shots in of the lake.

I do have some picture that I can post later. Nothing massive was had but all in all not a bad day.

Last edited by twade on 07:57pm - Sep 29,10, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Sep 29,10 
Congrats to your daughter! Any day out fishing/exporing is a good one - Thanks for the report!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:34pm - Sep 29,10 
It goes without saying you had a good day Travis! :thanks

Go Big Red!

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 07:02pm - Sep 29,10 
Sounds like a nice day, kid.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Sep 29,10 
Since I told the story there is really no order to the pics. All fish
averaged around the same size and a few even smaller. No monsters. But
a report for the Fox guys that have been waiting for one. Not too bad
considering the last time I hit it, I think, was back in March.

Her bass. Swam deep in the weeds and she managed to pull it out. (With a little help of course) She still wont lip 'em.

Mind you my daughter took these... i think she found her calling. No help, none what-so-ever.

A massive group of mushrooms I ran into.

Profile WWW  

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 04:32am - Sep 30,10 
Nice report Travis.

Congrats to your Daughter on her pulling her first "slop" bass!

That lake is going to be on fire with 4-6lb bass very soon...........

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33am - Sep 30,10 
Yes it is.

Some guy pulled out a 20-30 lb carp. I asked how he got it and he said "I netted it." :cuss He kept saying "It's a 100 lbs" I would reply nicely saying "It's a big fish 20 lbs maybe 30 but not ..."

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: