Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Aug 23,10 
Got tired of working and seeing people fish all day so finally got the chance to do some myself because the Lake Michigan outing didn't pan out. Soon as I got there started catching some small gills and using the half hitch with a circle hook 1/0 2oz egg sinker holding it on the bottom really needed about a 4oz to hold though. So after screwing around using the bluegills for a bit had a good hit but, somehow took the gill right off. Hadn't been able to catch another gill for bait so strapped on some crawler. Nothing on that for about 30 minutes. Started looking around the gates and noticed small bait fish right by the gate doors thousands of Gizzard Shad!!! Pulled crawlers off and strapped on a small shad half hitched on two rods. First one out setting up the second one get the second cast out and letting it settle on the bottom...Line starts ripping off of the first rod! Get this large Channel cat in at least a good 7lbr no time in between second rod gets hit. Caught a few smaller ones and a bit later a 8lbr! Spent around 3 hours ended up with 6 cats 23.17lbs total! Very great day to be out and long overdue.

GoJoe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Aug 24,10 
Damn was justing thinking of hitting mchenry today too. Where we you fishing below the dam or over by that lock part? Where you catch the shads? What time you get out there?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:54am - Aug 24,10 
sounds like the water is still high if you're saying you need a 4 oz sinker. Gils website says the water is coming down, is it still flowing pretty good? It's about a 2 hr ride for me would hate to waste a trip thinking about going wed morn if you wanna link up?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17pm - Aug 24,10 
Picked up the shad right next to the sluice gate they were balling up and pretty easy to catch, just used my hand and reached in for what I needed :winker literally. They water is not high it has come down to normal pool below the dam but, the water still moves very fast and to keep the bait where you want it a heavy weight seemed necassary. Fished to the right of the fish ladder. Got out around 11 and was gone by 2 as I had to pick up the kid, I would have brought her but shes to young to be around fast moving water like that. Wednesday I'll be working the locks 8-4 if you have a boat or are renting one like I still have to I would be happy to show you the spot lol. Not to many others catching must have been the live bait.

GoJoe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:53pm - Aug 24,10 
Awesome cats Go Joe! I have been having luck using the shad on Fox lake for the cats. You can also try cutting the shad in chunks and using them as cut bait. When using them alive i cut a small slice near the tail to make them bleed and that was working well too. Try different things sometimes they prefer live bait, other times the cut bait is working better. Also you never know what will hit the live shad - cats, walleye, musky, bass

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:01pm - Aug 24,10 
Now that you mention "you never know what will hit the live shad" I did have 1 bite off while I was there 30lb moss power pro...Who knows what that might have been didn't think much of it and just retied!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Aug 24,10 
Nice Cats! There are muskies and pike swimmin' around those parts, you never know.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:18pm - Aug 24,10 
Nice catch. Reminds me I have to make a trip down there and through the locks sometime this year. I have never fished below the dam from a boat before.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: