Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:30pm - May 25,10 
I know there are a few options to launch/fish the fox at night, but I've never tried it so I'm looking for a few words of wisdom before I drop my boat in! I've heard the slade ave launch in Elgin is open 24 hours ... are there any others further south? Also - I've got a 14' deep v (I think a few guys in the Chi Town family have owned her before ... nice row boat conversion!) ... is that a bad idea to drop into these stretcehs of river? (I've canoed the stretch just south of Yorkville and wouldn't drop anything but a yak, canoe or john boat in there - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - May 25,10 
slade can be tricky at night and with the current, there is a pothole on the north side of the ramp that will eat your trailer tire :shock

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16am - May 26,10 
(I've canoed the stretch just south of Yorkville and wouldn't drop anything but a yak, canoe or john boat in there - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Or a jet :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - May 26,10 
Thanks for the heads up Catman - much appreciated!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19pm - May 26,10 
Slade is an excellent ramp! just stay nearer the south side. Someone has painted some orange lines on the ramp, they are in a very good location, BTW there is an old timer who has lived in one of those houses right there all his life, he keeps an eye on things, very safe area.
Next pool south of the Kimball St. dam would be the ramp behind the DMV at Rt 20 and 31. Good, new ramp but they did ot dredge before they layed the ramp in. Unfortunaly when the water is low it can be hard to get my boat off the bunks, and this stretch of river doesn't have a NOAA gauge to check b4 going out Poplar creek gauge is too far up stream and the gauge in South Elgin is below the dam (I think) I can usually get in when the S Elgin gauge is over 12.6 or so but once it hits 12.5 no dice, but with your small rig you may be OK. I haven't needed to explore any farther then these 2 but they good and the fishing has been OK. Both ramps are 24/7 unless the water is fast and high, then they get closed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - May 27,10 
Any of these launches work for an 18 foot crestliner ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:27pm - Jun 29,10 
There is a small launch on the west side of the river just north of Roosevelt/Rt 38. It is truly a small launch, but the ramp is solid. The dam is just south of it so you must head north, and I have seen boats aground near North Ave so be careful. The upshot is, the area has produced nice fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:20am - Jun 30,10 
^^^The launch is private. I think it`s for Geneva residents only. You have to buy a pass to launch there.

Your best bet would be STC or Batavia. If you choose to go to STC, make sure you launch past 8 or 9pm to avoid having to pay the fee.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47am - Jun 30,10 
As far as I know, it's owned by the Geneva Fire Dept. I haven't seen any info regarding fees or permits, and it gets pretty regular use by canoes and yaks. There are no signs indicating regulations anywhere near it that I have seen.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:27pm - Jun 30,10 
^^^Are you sure it`s not the one on the east side of the dam? I know there is a launch right on top behind the kayak shop. I dont even know if that one can fit a trailer. The one I`m talking about is on the west side, about 1/2 mile north of the dam. One of our members mentioned that they were thinking about paying the fee, but decided not to because it`s such a small stretch of river to fish in.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: