Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Mar 31,10 
I have been fishing Lake Michigan all winter for perch. Now that they are not really accessible from land, it is time to move on to my next favorite species, smallmouth bass. I was out for an hour trying out a few of my early spring spots. No fish. It sucks but I have been rating my fishing outings this spring by the number of hits not catches. This morning was ok, two hits.

Now this afternoon was a bit different. When over to a new spot and it looked just perfect for smallies. Water temp is rumored to be around 50, so things couldn't be better. Fished for about 30 minutes, and one hit, no fish.

Then my new friend, Chris walks up. We get to small talking and he asked what I was fishing for. I told him smallies and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said the only thing around now with the water around 42 would be a walleye. Now, I am not picky, at this time of the year I'll take anything. I told him the walleye are done and I would love to see him catch a walleye.

About 10 minutes later, something picks up my jig and minnow, I let it take it for a couple of seconds and then BAM set the hook. After setting so many hooks on nothing or worse yet something that doesn't move, it was great to feel the head shake. Battled it for a couple of minutes, can't crank it in on 4lb test. Got it to the shore and she was 2lb 10oz and 19in (a personal best). Couldn't have been happier to see it swim away. I guess the walleye are still active. :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:04am - Apr 1,10 
That's a nice fish. What color jig were you using?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:52pm - Apr 1,10 
chartruse sp?

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: