Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58pm - Mar 25,10 
Fished in the afternoon with my buddy throwing different colored twister tails and some gulp. Mostly 2" to 3" in white and chartreuse on 1/8th jigs trying to catch a walleye or two, but mostly caught a bunch of branches :rotflmao we must have cleared the river of all the snags haha. We fished all the hotspots from the railroad to the dam and not a even a single nibble. For some odd reason I decided to cast into the fast current right at the dam, it was gonna be one of the last cast so what the heck. I get my jig snagged, after some pulling BAM, it frees itself to go into another snag BAM, it frees it self again. Another BAM! at this point I'm regretting the cast into the current, except.... the line starts running away from me :D after a short battle I bring in the first smallmouth of the '10 season! It was a dink, maybe 10-12" and really dark, but hey... at least my buddy knows who got the first one 8)~

Now we gotta find the walleye!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:11pm - Mar 25,10 
nice work. I have been stopping by the river on the way home and fishing some spots that usually produce early spring. Haven't got any bites from the smallies lately but the minnows are there so the bass will soon follow. Hopefully this week!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Mar 26,10 
Yep I know exactly what you mean. We hit a creek in Batavia and I dont think I have ever seen that many minnows in the river... not to mention all the crayfish in the river and how clear that river is.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57pm - Mar 26,10 
Ha that's funny, i noticed exact same thing today. Was out at a creek today and saw literally thousands of minnows and at the mouth of the creek I easily spotted a dozen crayfish sitting on rocks as the sun warmed them up! they must know the bass aren't in the area yet and can soak up some sun without worrying about getting eaten LOL.

Weird thing is last week i saw just as many minnows in the exact same area as this week but i still dont think the game fish have moved into the area yet. or maybe they have and aren't biting because they literally have 1000's of minnows to choose from in a 10'x10' spot. they probably just sit on the outskirts of the school of minnows and pick off the straglers. who knows. a musky bait through a school of minnows sure is cool to see lol

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42am - Mar 27,10 
have you ever thrown a cast net to catch the minnows? This year I am going to try to catch my own bait. I think the natural minnows from the river will be much better than fatheads.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59am - Mar 27,10 
two weeks ago I was fishing the hole near the boat in Elgin, started talking to a guy about bait, 15 minutes later we under the bridge catching three inch shiners on a piece of waxie and my smallest ice jig, HARD to keep alive, but I think that is the way to go.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:34am - Mar 27,10 
i have tried to seine them up before. They die very quickly once in the flow troll and once they are dead they are only slightly effective. i have tried both and have much better luck on store bought minnows in my experiences, i think it's the unique flash they provide and the scent. The fish in the river see and smell the river minnows all day but when a store minnow comes by it gets their attention and has a different scent.

I would also be careful about using them for bait right now because minnows should be spawning or reproducing soon and we don't want to kill pregnant ones, that could be hundreds of future minnows. these minnows are the game fish's forage and important to leave alone. if everyone started using casting net think of the devastation to the river :noway

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58am - Mar 27,10 
I don't think if you took a few minnows out of the river it would hurt the population. There are millions of bait fish in the river. I just think if you match the natural bait you will catch more fish. Plus I have never seen anyone throw a cast net.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: