Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Mar 21,10 
I let the weather keep me indoors last weekend, but I wouldn't let it hold me back 2 weeks in a row. I hit the Fox yesterday in south elgin, despite the water being high and very fast, threw a 3" pearl twister tail on a 3/8oz jig and worked all the slack water edges I could find. After about 40 minutes I got the 1 hit that I was hoping for but I blew it. I thought my jig bounced off a rock underwater and I gave it a half hearted tug to pull it free and then I felt a tug back......uh-oh :crazy ......I attempted another hook set now knowing that this was a fish and a not a rock and I was rewarded with the sight of a fat off white belly flashing to the surface, as the fish put its head back down and pulled my jig and twister tail came skyrocketing out of the water right back at me. I was stunned, happy, and pretty mad all at the same time. I couldnt decide whether to be happy that I got a hit, mad that I lost it, or stunned thinking that I just missed the biggest walleye of my life. I cant say for sure it was Mr Walter, but my best guess is that it was, and I believe that fish would have been well over 20" if I had been lucky enough to land it.

I fished another hour or so, but didnt have another bump or see any fish activity. Was nice to have the river entirely to myself even if the wind was howling and it snowed the entire day. Sometimes you go out fishing knowing that you might have a chance at only 1 fish, and I had the mindset yesterday heading out, but I let my concentration slip for just a second and like that it was gone!!! Lesson learned.

tight lines

bd76

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30am - Mar 21,10 
That sucks man. Gives you a good reason to go back though. :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32am - Mar 21,10 
DOH!!! Sorry that you lost her. Proud that you had the cajones to get out yesterday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34am - Mar 21,10 
You were just practicing for when the weather gets better. We have a lot of good days ahead of us!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:08am - Mar 21,10 
Might have been a Northern. I was out friday night with my buddy Dennis on the Fox. We were on the search for Walleyes. (Thursday night a guy had a 36 to 40 inch musky almost landed it but lost it trying to net it. no Walleyes thursday, maybe because the Muskys were in?) Friday night started out beautiful, warm, light breeze at our backs. Caught one 28" Northern and a 14" Large Mouth, both on Raoches. The reason I say it might have been a northern was that the one I got Friday had a very white bottom. Right as it was getting dark we were invaded by millions of little black flying nats. They were so thick you almost couldn't see the oyther side of the river. Then the wind picked up and it got very cold.
The Walleyes should start biting pretty good real soon. See you out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:37am - Mar 21,10 
bottomdweller76 wrote:
I fished another hour or so, but didnt have another bump or see any fish activity. Was nice to have the river entirely to myself even if the wind was howling and it snowed the entire day. Sometimes you go out fishing knowing that you might have a chance at only 1 fish, and I had the mindset yesterday heading out, but I let my concentration slip for just a second and like that it was gone!!! Lesson learned.

tight lines

bd76

Dont sweat it BD. Welcome to the wonderfull world of fishing the Fox. You get hung up so much that when you do get a hit you really don realize it. Well... sometimes its unmistakable. Especially when using swim baites or in line spinners but any time your bouncing something off the bottom is a little more difficult to tell. Bottom line when in doubt.. set the hook! Dont feel too bad its a numbers game. The more you go the better your odds and soon enough youll come across stack of fish in a hole. I've missed som huge fish in that area too but you know what they say "Nothing make a fish bigger than the one that got away." :winker

Here's one Fox experience of my own ...
Once I was wading in the spring in about chest high water (for me tthats about 3.5 feet!) It was a beautiful day, sunny, clear, light breeze. Fishing was slow but I was in scensory heaven! Just casting and casting and enjouying the sites and sounds. I was throwing a #3 dressed Mepps spinner and toward the end of of one particular retreive I was watching the lure work through the water. I l took my eyes off the lure for 2 seconds and when I started to lift the lure out of the water for a another autopilot wind up and pitch a huge Northern or maybe a Muskie followed it right up to the surface took a snap at it and flipped a U turn back down to the depths. The wake from that fish was unbelievable!! The fish was about 6' feet from me but I felt the water from the wake pushing on me through my waders. It was an unbeleivable, starteling, exilerating and of course frustrating at the same time. I learned something that day, never let the, beauty and serenity of fishing the river lull you into not being ready. Alway keep your gard up. If I know you BD youll have plenty more chances as the open water season heats up. Hope to see you out there soon.

T-Bo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:57pm - Mar 21,10 
I might try back this afternoon for a bit. Persistence..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58pm - Mar 21,10 
My daughter moved out to S. Elgin not too long ago, and loves to fish.
Is there any access to the Fox near there for a 18.5 ft lund?

The missing of the one that got away gives you the desire to get back and try it again.
Good Luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:41am - Mar 22,10 
hey b d i was out friday snagged some carp got 1 smallie same set up pearl twister 3 inch check out the shore line those little cuts you will never know whats hidding there good luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51am - Mar 22,10 
"Sometimes you go out fishing knowing that you might have a chance at only 1 fish"

I hear ya dude. And no matter how many times it happens, and no matter how many times I remind myself to always stay focused, it's inevitably going to happen again most likely on a large fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:14pm - Mar 22,10 
when in doubt set the hook set it hard its only a jig or that big one

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: