Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:56pm - Mar 12,10 
I think I am going to break out the long rods tomorrow. I have a chance to hit the fox tomorrow somewhere between south elgin and st charles. A friend of the family recently bought a house and has very graciously extended me the opportunity to fish from the shoreline on their property. I am at a little bit of a loss trying to figure out what species to target and my adventures on the Fox river have pretty much been an exercise in futility.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should chase after?? smallies or eyes???

bd76

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:32pm - Mar 12,10 
You can get em all you know. Jig a white twsiter tail or some plastic minnow's . Smallies and eyes will hit them. Float n fly should be good for some smallies. You can even use a ice jigs tipped with waxies for some carp action. Very general but should get you started. 6# or less leader.

Profile WWW  

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 06:45pm - Mar 12,10 
The tactics Travis gave are good choices. I used to fish the Fox alot, and had my share of early season success with small slash baits. I.E... Smithwick Rouges, Husky Jerks, Yozuri Crystal Minnow, and now the X-Raps, and a host of others. They would catch all species. Just another option for you, along with the jigs & platics/live bait, like mentioned above. Good luck to you out there!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:12pm - Mar 12,10 
thanks guys, i will give them a try.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:55pm - Mar 12,10 
With the river flowing at near flood stage, a tactic that works well in these conditions is something known as "dabbling". Take a long spinning rod and tip with a single small hook and a small split shot about 8 to 10 inches up. On the hook use either a fathead minnow or one of those 2.5 to 3 inch gulp minnows. The trick is to sneak along the shoreline and drop the bait into little nooks and crannys along the shore (literally inches from the shoreline). work every tiny little current break from top to bottom. With the heavy rain, the fish have only these little spots to hide.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58pm - Mar 12,10 
IF we make it out, i will give it a whirl Ed. been raining up here for a bit and there is still snow to be melted off so the river could be exceptionally high and fast and in that case we may not give it too much time.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:02pm - Mar 12,10 
Definitely dabble then. Everything else will not be worth it. Some of my biggest river smallies have come on the dabbling technique. Anything that block current is structure, just be ready for a real fight when that fish gets out into that main current!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:34pm - Mar 12,10 
ED-
we are goin out tomorrow for all day fishin rain or shine. I will be dabbling like crazy, thanks for the little tip. No nook is to small huh? I will post tomorrow to let you know how it goes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:17pm - Mar 13,10 
Does this technique work on the dupage as well? I fished the float and fly today with no success. I will try the dabble technique next time. I am new to river fishing so thanks for the tip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06pm - Mar 13,10 
The rivers are high and cold so fishing in general will be tough. But yes you can try to dabble on the dupage.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:57am - Mar 14,10 
was fishing by the water pipe on 25 just south of st charles on yesterday. few short hits on Ed's method.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: