Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19pm - Nov 11,09 
Hi everybody,

I am taking my 8 yr old son to a father/son campout this weekend near Algonquin on the fox river. I would love to do a sunday morning river fishing trip with him but not sure of the specifics.

If I don't get any better advice, I would take him below the dam at Algonquin (which I've never fished) and throw minnows under bobbers, or similar.

Does anyone have ideas? Shore access, boat rentals, places to go?

I would really like to get into some fish with him.

Gerry

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:24am - Nov 12,09 
As far as boat rentals I think they are done for the year,(the closest being Mchenry Dam) I personally stay away from the dam, it gets very crowded. Other options would be further down river, footbridge, Buffalo Park,Cville dam can be ok and Otto. Baits would be splitshot or small jig and minnow. If your interested in some pond fishing (which might be better for 8 year old) let me know, I can try to hook you up there too.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:28am - Nov 12,09 
Gerry,
I agree with Brent. The dam gets pretty crowded, but it is worth a looksee. Right now the river is running pretty high and fast. One area you can try is Buffalo Park. There are a couple bends with some good eddies. If you are running a float and minnow, don't be afraid to run it right next to the bank. With the water up high there are eddies created close to the bank and the smallies will tuck up into those areas. If you fish from shore you have some limited access near the footbridge. The best thing to do is ask for permission from the homeowner (courtesy) If you are wading then it's no problem.
Let me know when you are going to be around there and if you want, I may be able to hook up with you and show you some areas. One thing that would be alot of fun for your son is what Brent mentioned with pond fishing. The hallows are just north of there on route 14 and they can be fun.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Nov 12,09 
Not too much to add, but as Cory said, the river is running fast so we stuck to split shot and golden roaches for Smallmouth last weekend. Probably too big of roaches as we really had to wait out the bite. Loads of hits and holds. If you didn't wait, you got back a nicely scaled minnow....

We were fishing a bit further south at Batavia as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:24am - Nov 12,09 
One plus about the Algonquin dam is the playground right next to it. If I was going to fish there from shore, I would get there before the sun came up and fish the eddy that is created by the creek the flow into the fox.

If you go to the Hollows, minnows aren't allowed. I take my little ones to the Hollows and they use a 1/3rd of a nightcrawler under a bobber an catch Bluegill and small bass. Don't fish the big lake, fish the little lake the is close to the bigger lake or West Lake. Those two lakes are much easier for kids to catch fish. They won't be big fish but kids don't care.

Q

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:40pm - Nov 13,09 
Gentlemen,

THANK YOU very much for this excellent information. I am armed with ideas and spots and the weather even looks like it might hold. There are 3 other dads with boys who have said they'd like to borrow rods from me, so we are going to make it a fishing party on the fox.

Again, I really appreciate the info. I will post some news when I have it... I assume few and small fish, but some smiling young fishermen.

Gerry

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: