Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:33am - Oct 19,09 
A buddy and I decided to give the fox a try yesterday morning considering the weather is warming up a bit. On our way up to the Montgomery dam we stumbled across Troy Park (I think that's what it was called). Anyway we ended up catching a couple very small smallies. We left there after about an hour of nothing more and went to the dam. With the amount of structure and fast moving water I was suprised there was not more action. The dam was pretty crowded. There were 5 people on the east side and two guys wading on the west. Most guys were catching little bluegills. We then decided to hit that little branch next to the dam. No luck.

Couple questions:
1) Do people have luck near that park?
2) Anyone ever caught anything in that branch next to the dam?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:28pm - Oct 21,09 
mickey19 wrote:
A buddy and I decided to give the fox a try yesterday morning considering the weather is warming up a bit. On our way up to the Montgomery dam we stumbled across Troy Park (I think that's what it was called). Anyway we ended up catching a couple very small smallies. We left there after about an hour of nothing more and went to the dam. With the amount of structure and fast moving water I was suprised there was not more action.

Couple questions:
1) Do people have luck near that park?

That was an old dam you were fishing around that was removed somewhere around 50 or more years ago. If you're not wading, you're missing the best areas. I'm assuming you're wading.

At the old dam itself you'll do okay at times, but no big deal. What you want to do is start at Violet Patch Park. Wade across the river to the west side and fish all the way down to Troy Park. You're going to be surprised at the depth of the first pool you walk into. Fish the hell out of that west shore at that point. The next pool is the one that is upstream of where the dam was and can be pretty good.

You want to start out fishing the west side and as you get closer to the old dam you can spread out back and forth, but the west side still has the most structure and depth, especially when you get to the old dam.

If you're stuck on shore, go to the Route 31 side and look for Mill Road. There's a small park there where it ends at the river. From there, there is also a path that runs north along the river. I'm always in the river, but you might find enough holes along the shoreline to get in some casts.

Here's a map.

Troy Park and Mill Road

Two things not to do if wading. Do not walk into those holes on the downstream side of the small islands left over between from the dam. You won't like it.

DO NOT try to walk through the chute of water on the west side where it goes between the island and the shore. You'll probably make it, but you will not enjoy this at all. The bottom is a long slab of limestone with nothing for your feet to grab onto. Trust me on that one.

I've never fished downstream of the old dam this time of year, but other times I've done pretty well. The upstream side, those two big pools I just described, I've fished all the way into November and have done pretty well. Some nice sized walleye live in there if you can find them.

That's probably too much info, but you'll figure it out.

Profile WWW  

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 06:55pm - Oct 21,09 
Ken G wrote:
DO NOT try to walk through the chute of water on the west side where it goes between the island and the shore. You'll probably make it, but you will not enjoy this at all. The bottom is a long slab of limestone with nothing for your feet to grab onto. Trust me on that one.

I use to fish the area a little more south but ventured up there when I ate my wheaties....IT CANNOT be stressed enough to watch out for the flat limestone stretches. These are very dangerous when water is at your waist or higher.

Anytime I hit those type of spots I made sure I had a friend just in case(for location purposes if I went down).

Thanks again for sharing some great info and pointing out a very real and a possible, life threatening situation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20am - Oct 22,09 
Thanks guys. We were fishing off shore on the east side. I'll try hitting up the side near 31. I don't have waders and still have a lot to learn about them before I get into that river.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:41am - Nov 9,09 
Any of you guys out by the park yesterday? I got to talking with a guy wading and forgot to ask him if he's on this site. There were a couple people wading yesterday there.

If any of you are on the site I was the guy in the blue hooded sweatshirt. My name is Tim. Hope you had some luck after we left.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: