Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:13am - Oct 19,09 
It was an eerie Sunday morning. Ice had built up on my car's window and the crisp cold air made me do a double take, and think, onto why I would be up so early - though I was still running mildly late, to go fishing with a friend (SpecialEd). There was no word from him yet on my cell phone so I sent out a text and let him know I was running late. No answer. I know this guy is an early fisherman so something must have gotten him, I assume Zombies. After scrapping the ice off my windshield in the darken driveway I started heading out to the Fox River. Not a soul on the road. Once I parked my car I looked around the wooded area, no cars, no people, I could not even hear the river to find out where I should walk. The brush had blocked my view and disoriented me. So, I walked in the dark through the woods, assuming to be the only human left and found paths and roads that I was not familiar with. I finally found what I thought I was looking for and followed a small barely touched path to a small bluff headed to the Fox River. When I got there I could finally hear a sign of life. A fish, assume carp, boiled beneath the blanketed surface of the water. The scene was meek; a gray hue of fog had enriched the entire stretch of the river. Cranes only 20 yards away were barely viewed through the thick air; the white of dead trees towering above the air was the only thing in focus. As I looked around it was certain, no one was left. The water was running around and beneath me and I begun to jig minnows in a few unknown sections of water looking for something alive.

About a ½ hour in I heard the rustle of leaves and branches through the trees ahead. Zombies. In my thick neoprene waders I knew I could not out run the living dead. So I stood in an island and waited. This breed of undead was carrying a fishing pole and a back pack. It stopped and looked around to only find me behind him, "sorry I was late" the zombie muttered. Apparently the undead likes to fish as well as give out tips. "You are in the wrong spot." he told me. I knew I was.

Ed, I mean zombie, and I had a good time fishing a small pool. After Ed put a leader on my line I finally had a fish to account for. In this morning trip I would miss the 2nd strike and hook into a 3rd smallie and enjoy a good fight with nice boils. I lost him once I stopped reeling it to pick him up. A real bummer.

Ed was in blue gill heaven, about 1/2 a dozen. His target was however carp and he reeled one in for a nice photo op. It was a good little trip.

With things to do later in the day, a drive home for me to pick up donuts and a coffee for me, the wife and kid, and Ed's apparent hunt for brains. We called it quits. The sun was up for awhile and the earth was awake with the sound of cars on the roads. Dismissing any need for the zombies to come out and bother me....

Here are some pics, I apologize for zombie Ed's vulgar rod placement, but all I could do from here was edit the pic size, couldn't crop it.

Last edited by twade on 02:56pm - Oct 20,09, edited 3 times in total.
 Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:19am - Oct 19,09 
twade wrote:
There are pictures to follow.

We're anxiously waiting T Wade, but do Zombies show up in pictures?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30am - Oct 19,09 
Bubbalouie wrote:
twade wrote:
There are pictures to follow.

We're anxiously waiting T Wade, but do Zombies show up in pictures?

Unfortunately the nearest thing I have to a zombie pic are two early birds that didn't have coffee yet.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 11:00am - Oct 19,09 
Twade that would make for a great Halloween post. Nice take on the morning eries......... :scared

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Oct 19,09 
In a way it was for me, took the little one later that day to a pumpkin patch and the wife and i apparently found out that the kid friendly Haunted Barn was not so kid friendly for our daughter... pure screams of terror. Poor thing.
:bigcry

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:59pm - Oct 19,09 
Good read. I laughed....... bbbbrrrrraaaaiiiiinnnnsssss

LOL

I'm pretty sure I am making the "constipation face" in the carp picture. Those were some straight up 8" gills. Kinda bummed they live in the poo-poo water. :cry:

Pray for rain.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:15pm - Oct 19,09 
Don't forget a mouth full of poo water when knotting two lines together.

I noticed I wrote "I real bummer" instead of "A real bummer". That is why my brain was never succumbed to the zombie attack. Or for PC purpose, living impaired.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:19pm - Oct 19,09 
twade wrote:
a mouth full of poo water when knotting two lines together.

... maybe it was aftertaste that brought on the face I made....

Enjoying a nice Domaine DuPage as I type. It definitely has a better mouthfeel than discharge water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:53pm - Oct 19,09 
No wonder nothing much was in there this afternoon. I knew I should have went up to North Aurora.

Funny stuff.

Saw the bluegills in there. You do know that this time of year anything that looks like a bluegill is pretty good bait in the rest of the river. Especially live little bluegills.

Asked a fisheries biologist once why gills work so well this time of year. Apparently this time of year they migrate up the river. Everything follows them and eats them.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:23pm - Oct 19,09 
I was going to jot something down for the journal, but I have yet to see the pictures, and I rarely post reports without pictures. I don't know exactly why, but I normally don't care for reports w/o them, so I just assume everyone else feels the same way.

We only fished the outflow, and only directly in and around it. It wasn't until I read a port you brought up from long ago did I realize I am missing 90% of the fish away from the outflow. I never thought to follow the current out away and around the little island on the backside. duh

I haven't seen any small gills, just those nice thick 8 inchers I got that morning. In fact those were the first gills I have ever caught from the Fox. They sure do pull hard against that current when they get that big. :D

I think I'd like to make the Sunday morning wade a regular trip. Maybe next time we find some water up north a ways closer to the Aurora/Batavia area. What say you Travis?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:44am - Oct 20,09 
SpecialEd wrote:
I never thought to follow the current out away and around the little island on the backside. duh

Maybe next time we find some water up north a ways closer to the Aurora/Batavia area. What say you Travis?

I was fishing that section before you got there, but as you know I was rigged all wrong.

I will try to get the photo's up soon. I was broadsided around 3 pm with a mad fever and went to bed super early. 7ish. At some point at 3-4 am I hadt this overwhelming feeling that I was better..

A Sunday wade sounds good.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Oct 20,09 
SpecialEd wrote:
I never thought to follow the current out away and around the little island on the backside. duh

If you try this on relatively warm days in December, January and February, just keep following the flow as far down as you can see it, or feel the warmer water. I think that's got me a quarter mile down from the wires. It's tougher during the winter, but they're still around. The outflow water temps stay at 55 degrees all winter, so when you feel warmer water coming through your wading boots, you're still in it.

A post is a post. Been taking mental health breaks by cruising and posting, even here. I think it annoys people some times. :D :D :wink:

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:05am - Oct 20,09 
OMG Ken you are alive! So when are we going fishing?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55am - Oct 20,09 
I've been following your stellar career in the outdoors world Mr. Cory. Pretty impressive. Despite rumors, I'm still around. I debate on whether or not to leave posts on sites anymore. But then there are guys I know of, and posts like Troy Park that is getting ignored and some times I feel like I should say something. Right now it's good therapy for me. Keeps my brain occupied on other things.

I've been trying to get out with guys for a couple of years, but my ability to get out lately is taking advantage of windows of opportunity that appear out of nowhere. Long story there. I see the window, I jump through it. Don't get to time or plan much of anything anymore. Wada ya gonna do.

Some day things will smooth out, I'll have the time and you'll get me on some steelhead I hope. The smallies are starting to bore me. It's become too routine.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:15pm - Oct 20,09 
now with pics. see above.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: