Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:48pm - Sep 20,09 
I woke up this morning and knew I had to get some chores/honeydos done. Started in the house and worked my way outside to enjoy the beautiful day. I was working on picking some of the brilliantly colored maple leaves when I heard a voice above me. I couldn't seem to find where it was coming from, but it kept saying "Go fishing", "GO Fishing". I figured it was just my subconscious, but I looked harder and well low and behold, I found the creature that was urging me to go fishing.

I headed his advice, of course when I was done with the priority work :wink: and grabbed my waders,rod and vest and headed to the fox. I was armed with a couple dozen large fatheads and a spring in my step. I entered the water and worked a nice eddie below the bridge. It wasn't long until I hooked up and had an epic battle! Only to find out it was a foul hooked Quillback. Oh well, it was a fun fight. I worked the area over a little more and was rewarded with a small smallie. I changed up locations and moved accross river to another nice eddie and was greeted by a nice fellow that told me that I really needed to fish this one spot. How could I resist? He was an expert fisherman himself, and if he wanted me to fish there, then I guess I would. I asked if I could get his photo and maybe an autograph, but he was a little shy and only let me snap a quick photo of him.

Well he was right. There were fish there. They weren't huge, but they were willing biters and scrappy fighters. I landed about a half a dozen of these colorful fish and this one was nice enough to pose for a quick shot.

The rain was coming down pretty good at times and I couldn't think of any other place I would rather be than fishing at that moment. Sure, people walking by or in the surrounding houses might of thought I was a little off, but I was in my element, I was soaking up all that was around me.
I fished this small stretch of river and missed or lost several more fish in the time I spent there. The fish were just a bonus to this day and I can't put into words the feeling I had deep inside. A feeling that only the out-of-doors can give a man.
I was rewarded toward the end of my expedition with a chunky smalljaw that was happy to smile for a picture with me.

I fished a total of about 3 hours and lost more fish than I caught, but I was able to get back to the meaning of what it is to be a fisherman. I was a lone person in the river, but by no means was I alone. I was surrounded by beauty that most don't really see, or even pay close attention to. The sound of the rain on the water, the rushing of the river over the rocks. It all came together in one great harmony, with the singing of the drag being the chorus to the song that is the outdoors.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58pm - Sep 20,09 
great story great day :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:45pm - Sep 20,09 
That was very poetic! Well said :)

Environmentally Friendly Chitown Angler

Post Posted: 03:40am - Sep 21,09 
Nice smallie. Is a quillback a type of carp? Good read.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:30am - Sep 21,09 
Cory really enjoyed your Dr.Doolittle post, it's nice when it all comes together to fulfill your desires. Just might hold up through the rest of the week. :wink:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:12am - Sep 21,09 
Thanks Cory- good story to start off the day- maybe someday you'll be as good a fisherman as that "other" fellow- 'course he does fish everyday- :lol:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:01am - Sep 21,09 
Thanks guys. I had alot of fun out there in the rain.
Atitagain, yes a quillback is a carpsucker. More in the sucker family I belive. Here is a pic of one from a past outing.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:10pm - Sep 21,09 
Great post Cory.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:11pm - Sep 21,09 
Amen! Thre is more to fishing than catching fish. I wrote in a different thread about my 3 friends and I hitting Shabbona Lake, Friday. We caught almost nothing but had a great time. One sees deer, the herons and egrets; even the carp floating along are welcome. And the rivers are more exciting since they are constantly changing and you never know what you will hook into.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:30am - Sep 23,09 
Hi Cory-
I haven't posted on here for awhile but your post inspired me. I went out to the Fox on Sunday and wouldn't you know it...the rain started to fall half way there. I pushed on and fished anyway. Areas that normally would hold half dozen fishermen on any other Sunday held none or one. I don't recall recently having a more satisfying outing on a river that was reluctant to show me the bite. Standing in that rain, on the river was revitalizing and beautiful. I have to admit rarely am I that giddy at the end of a one fish day. There's power in rain eh?

Thanks for sharing, it brought the good feelings back to the surface.

John

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: