Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:09pm - Jun 5,09 
A lot of people are asking about their rights to fish or access rivers or shorelines which some choose to call "Private Property"
WE HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO THE RIVER AND SHORELINE UP TO THE "ORDINARY HIGH WATER MARK" We also have the right to "Trespass" briefly for safety reasons
Follow this link and take the time to read it carefully as it explains all. Print it out and highlight important sections and carry it with you to challenge land owners and police when they show up. Don't be suprised if the police still tell you to leave, but respectfully show them "The Real Law"

http://www.nationalrivers.org/us-law-who-owns.htm

Again I say, read this carefully, print it and carry it with you. Good luck and stand up for your rights.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:27pm - Jun 5,09 
You can show them the "real law" all you want but there are still property owners here in Illinois that have legal deeds to the water you may be in. You may be right with the NORS interpretation of the law and if you have the time and money to fight their claims in court, you might win. So far, no one has challenged the current state laws. Are you willing to do it?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Jun 8,09 
Remember it is not a one way street, I am not saying I have the time or money to take the issue to court and quite possibly the land owner does not have the time or money to do so as well. What I am saying is that we can edjucate those who are trying to enforce "The Law" as well as people like you and me. Maybe we get lucky and edjucate some attorneys who are willing to challenge the locals. A few years back myself and maybe thirty boaters were swimming on a sandbar in Lake Michigan by Bahai Temple in Winnetka and a irate new home owner managed to coerce the local authorities into kicking all of us out. When I attempted to tell the police we were withing our rights to be there I was told in no uncertain terms, "Leave or go to jail". I left and thought to myself that with all the high dollar boats that were there, there must be an attorney or two in the crowd. I belive I was right as we and many others returned for years after to never be bothered again. Sticking our head in the sand will never serve us well.
Challenges have been won here in Illinois,The forest preserve of Dupage county made it illegal to wade in the Dupage River where it cut through forest preserve property. I belive it was the Smallmouth Bass Alliance got that law reversed. Spread the word, edjucte people and stand together for your rights. The land owners do not own the river.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57am - Jun 24,09 
I use the islands alot to fish and have been told recently that some are owned by people but have found that if you take care of the place you stay and keep it clean that noone really bothers youhas anyone had a problem on the islands mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01am - Jun 25,09 
there are some islands by me that are posted.stay in the water and they can't say anything..my friend had a run in with a land owner a couple weeks back and they were in the water and never stepped foot on his land..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:05pm - Jul 7,09 
It's the "Normal High Water Mark" You can be on land as long as the land you are on is seasonally covered by water it is part of the river. Beyond that it is a trespass.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: