Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:27pm - Jun 29,09 
I got off work Friday night at 10:30 and I knew I wanted to go fishing. I called up a buddy and we decided to try for some Cats in the Fox. After struggling in the dark to catch 10 gills or so for bait at a local pond we were finally on our way.

We got to the spot about midnight and had rods in the water 10 minutes later. There was another guy down there at our spot who wasn't having any luck and left about an hour after we got there.

At about 3:30 am i noticed my rod tip bouncing slightly, it had been moving all night but only because the water was so high and moving so fast, this bounce was different though. I reeled it up about twice, felt weight, set the hook... and it was onnnn!! After about 10-15 minutes of struggling with this big boy in the currents we got him near the side of the river where our next task began.

We had to get the fish over a 7 foot concrete wall. I had brought a net but it was a small one and I could barely get it to reach the water and it was only big enough to hold maybe half the fish. We struggled like this for another 10 minutes before i made a rash decision to use the strength of my 30 lb power pro, and the strength of the line on my buddys ride (which the fish had swam around about 4 times) to just haul the beast up over the wall. He thought I was nuts, I didn't care I had to do something quick (i thought) and this ended up working.

Any guesses on weight?

We continued to fish until about 4:30 with no other bites. I dropped my buddy off about 5:15 just as the sun had risen, headed home to shower, sleept 2 hours, and be back at work by 8:30 am!

A great night of fishing. PS this is the biggest fish I have ever caught in my life.[/img]

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:51pm - Jun 29,09 
sorry not sure how to get the image up

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:33am - Jun 30,09 
alex wrote:
After struggling in the dark to catch 10 gills or so for bait at a local pond we were finally on our way.

Not to diminish your excellent experience but... transporting "gills" from a pond to be used in the river is currently against state regulations.

"Use of wild-trapped fishes from within the state as bait will be restricted to the waters where legally captured. "

Full version is in the link...

http://dnr.state.il.us/pubaffairs/2008/ ... virus.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58am - Jun 30,09 
Next time just go to the park and catch them there. There are plenty in there, good size for bait.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:29am - Jun 30,09 
True, it is illegal to transport fish and has a hefty fine. I am sure you were just unaware. Batavia has a solid group of Forest Preserve police and us CTA peeps would like to see people spend money on lures, reels, and rods instead of tickets. The reason it is - any thing from a virus to invasive specie's (as we now have at Deep Quarry) are trying to be prevented. Especially the water quality of things like retention ponds and ponds/lakes used for street run-off.

Now as far as the fish. How big do you think it was in length, mouth etc. How big was the net that only fit 1/2 it's size?

Do you use the live bait on the bottom or bobber? Good job.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:14am - Jul 1,09 
thanks for the info about the bait guys, i had no idea that wasn't okay. i went out again last night and got 2 more but these guys were real small.

all fish were caught on gills fished with 2 oz of weight on a slip sinker rig on the bottom. all fish were caught in slow moving water that was right next to fast water.

i have pictures of all three fish if someone can help me with posting them. i don't quite understand what to do with the tags.

i believe the fish to be between 32-36 inches and from another website im estimating it at 17-23 pounds.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: