Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01pm - Mar 12,03 
Waded an area near Oswego again today looing for some smallie spots. Tried the holes I fished yesterday with a jig and twister with no hits. I moved down river to find an area full of carp and even some nice smallies. I walked right up on them so I did not get to fish them but I am sure there was atleast 3 smallies and a bagilion carp. The Smallies were all over 14" and on of them looked to be about 16" I fished the area and some other spots with the same jig and twister and came up with nothing but I did find some good holes and eddies.

Justin

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:22pm - Mar 12,03 
During the warmer months when I see carp feeding in an area I always cast to them.
I've caught some big smallies doing this.

Theory is that the carp are making a mess.
The minnows are coming to feed on the mess OR the carp are making bottom dwelling critters move around.
The smallies come in to feed on the minnows and bottom dwelling critters.

I can't think of any other reason smallies would hang around with carp other than the entertainment value.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Mar 12,03 
I've used this same trick for years! Symbiotic relationship, when the Carp are wallowing cast around them but not into them...like Ken said, the Bass will be hanging around the outside edges looking for an easy meal!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51pm - Mar 13,03 
I have seen this before and was wondering what the bass were doing. I do know I have seen them when the water is high the bass and carp will seek out the same current breaks. I caught a 18" largemouth out of the fox last year when I casted to a curent break with carp in it.

Justin

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: