Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:41am - Mar 6,09 
I moved to St. Charles last year but didn't have any time from work to try fishing the Fox much at all. This year I do have some time, and want to take my step-son who has no experience. I know the walleye are supposed to be good at the Yorkville dam. I am wondering it it's worth the drive from here, or if there are eyes closer to St. Charles worth targeting.

Also wondering best spring rigs. White twister tail tipped with minnow? Do we need to get hip waders? Thanks much.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49am - Mar 6,09 
There many spots just as good or better than Y'ville, which is pretty messed up with construction. I like the areas from N.Aurora dam down through to the Montgomery dam. Oswego is also nice. downstream of Y'ville is also nice but probably not worth your drive. I would say start by meeting someone to take you around. There are plenty of people lurking around here that are usually more than willing to break in a new fishing partner, thats how I went from fishing to "catching" almost 10 years ago. Waders a an extremely nice thing to have & necessary this time of year and do not limit your fishing to just shore access. Rigs to try, what you said plus so many more. My go to rig is a 1/16 jig with a chart helgie. If that doesn't produce then I experiment.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 07:10am - Mar 6,09 
I don't wade the Fox, but you can catch fish in the slack water areas with shore access. I have started throwing cheap jigs. Yesterday I was throwing a chartreuse gold flake twister tail knock-off on a 1/8 oz chartreuse jig (no minnow). The nice part about the cheap WalMart variety jigs is that with 8lb PowerPro line, you can get the jig back off a snag, bend the hook back into shape, sharpen it and you're back in business. If you use quality jigs, you'll probably need waders. :wink:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:34am - Mar 6,09 
Sounds like you've got some good fishing nearby there Zim.

Jigs- like Bearfan says- the cheapies you can bend them right out. I got some really good Jigs from JD SPINNERS (has a site on this board)- Pretty inexpensive and weedless- have a nice thin wire over the hook to keep you from constantly getting snagged on all those branches- he also had some great spinners too that would be good to throw in the currents-

Happy fishing! :D

Bruce

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59am - Mar 6,09 
I do pretty good in the batavia area with the walleyes north of wilson streeet bridge
call me if u need some spots to fish 630 310 0244
danny

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:34am - Mar 6,09 
Thanks ShoutNGander, Now when I go my spot I can fight all the bucket heads. Its not a huge secret spot but still come on man. Keep it PM

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:44am - Mar 6,09 
Zim,

My suggestion would be to get a pair of waders and get away from the crowds on shore. Alot of fishing pressure in concentrated areas. If you do not have experience on the river I would be happy to show around a few of my spots, some shore spots if you dont have waders. If you start to fish the river enough you will want to invest in the waders. Shoot me a PM if your interested. As soon as the river calms down after this rain its on!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:38am - Mar 7,09 
Whatever you do Zim. Keep in mind the rivers cookin man and wading now is extremly dangerous. Current flow rates wehere I fish the fox are 3500 cubic feet a second. I only feel comfortable wading less than a 1200. I love to wade, my favorite way to fish but be careful.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/il/nwis/uv?05551540

T-bo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:46pm - Mar 7,09 
Yes, thanks much for the tips. I am primarily a hunter, but my step-son wants to fish bad. I am not really his step-dad. My g/f left me, but her kid never had a dad and I am not going to leave him. He is joining the Marines after school is out, so this will be a rare chance for me to spend quality time with him. Just want him to catch something. I also set up a trip to Lake Erie for him. Also, I never served, and this is my way of giving back a tiny bit. I am really proud of him.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:05am - Mar 15,09 
I strictly fly fish and wade the Fox in Geneva. I rarely get skunked below the Geneva Dam. It's a nice stretch of water, even with a spinning reel. Right now the water is crazy to wade. There is a nice stretch of shoreline if you park at the sanitation plant on rte 25 south of rte 38. Park and walk to the path and head north. Fish along the edge and next to the tiny bridge. Very soon, wading will be a great way to get to deep center pools and outside the bubble lines for lunker bronze backs. Last summer I caught/released many nice fish, one approx 4 lbs. If you set-up a trip to Lake Erie, call Capt Frank Drudi with Chelsea Charters. Used him 3 times. He will set up lodging too. Great prime rib dinner within walking distance from lodging. Tell him The Gould brothers from Chicago suburbs said hello.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: