Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:41am - Feb 25,09 
I am setting up some of my rods for spring "ice-out" fishing in the Fox River. In so doing, I have decided to focus on using three-way rigs this year.

I've never used the three-way or Wolf River rig before. I fish all up and down the Fox, below the dams and elsewhere in Racine and Kenosha Counties.

It would seem that the #1 use of the three-way rig is to catch Walleyes. After studying numerous tips and techniques with this method of rigging however, my question is, "How can this be adapted or used to fish for other species in the Fox River?"

In looking at it, I can envision possibilities using this setup for Catfish, White Bass, Smallmouth, just about anything...It's so versatile, with options available for weight size, leader length and even fishing two separate lures/baits in a single presentation.

So how have you used this three-way technique to your advantage?

Thanks, and good fishing to you.

Littlewelshman

Lord Jesus, You have given me forgiveness, life and salvation. Let me always remain in You as a branch remains in the vine. Send me out in the power of Your spirit to live and work to Your praise and glory. <><

TGIF: Thank God I'm Forgiven

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:55am - Feb 25,09 
Three way rig fishing can be pretty versatile. You can modify for a quick pseudo float and fly for the smallies. Don't forget to use crankbaits as well. Even with a ball sinker. It will wobble like crazy.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:07pm - Feb 25,09 
three-ways are primary useful for getting bait in a particular depth zone without an erractic action - i've put everything from a plain hook to a floating rappla with good luck. That said, I've gotten lots of white bass and the occasional small mouth fishing three ways for sauger/walleye. I've also used them to pretty good effect for catfish dragging cutbait.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Feb 25,09 
There have been a lot of technics not used with a three way rig including drifting. A lot of people just don't use them. I just did google search and saw a great article on infishermen on it. Check it out.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/walleye_ins ... RiverRigs/

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:45am - Mar 3,09 
I've actually used a three way rig for catching crappie in the back waters of rivers similar to the Fox, and it's been a great success.

So it might work on the back waters for you up there as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:44pm - Mar 24,09 
Three way is otherwise known as a Wolf River Rig for taking white bass during the run. It is actually one of my favorite rigs as it has endless possibilities and it very simple to rig. I use it on the rivers for still fishing and retriveing fast or slow bump. I use it all the time on lakes for a drifting rig with any kind of live bait or even a rapala tipped with a piece of crawler pulled ever so slowly near the bottom. The trick is to experiment with your leads to the drop sinker and the lead to your bait. A good place to start is 10-12 inch lead to the sinker and 24-30 inch lead to your bait. This keeps the bait right on the bottom. Don't be afraid to use snap swivels to change weights or baits however with a minnow presentation I tye straight to the hook. Use it, give it a chance, it works, its simple, its cheap. Good luck

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:55pm - Mar 24,09 
Mr. Welshman, your a big man in wsj's eye's with a signature line like you have. TGIF, now that's good stuff. Thanks for being a reminder to enjoy God's gift of fishing to us all.

Oh, and 3 way rigs..........have used the drop shot a lot more with better results for the light bite, but then again it's on lakes not rivers. wjs has limited to none, knowledge of the flowing waters.

Last edited by wsj_outdoorsman on 07:19pm - Mar 25,09, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49pm - Mar 25,09 
Nice article there. I like the double jig rig... looks like that could be fun for cats or panfish!

Shawn

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:03pm - Mar 25,09 
Yes, 3 ways are effective and simple, but there are tone of variations all for different applications. Here are a couple of things to consider.

1. Big jig on bottom if moving, pencil weight or other sinker if stationary. Big jig with big piece of plastic twister, or gulp on bottom.

2. vary the lead and dropper often. I try to still to a 4 to 1 ratio.

3. plain hook and red bead are tough to beat. Snellthe hook if possible so the point rides up. And try tail hooking a minnow sometime.

4. river flies are great for three ways

5. smaller cranks work too. Think about the side to side wobble types, like pins minnow, rapala, and frenzy.

6. try a double crank set up, dubuque rig or a crank and floater or a crank and fly.

7. try a double barrel set up. This way you can drop the rod and free line the fish if need be.

8. try a tandem 2 hook with just gulp 3 inch shad.

9. try a crank with a spinner above it. deflects weeds and adds some flash.

So, you have a bunch of variations. The old school river rat types go witha bell sinker, 6 inch dropper, 24 inch lead to red bead, hook and minnow. Simple but effective.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:45pm - Mar 25,09 
I've heard of this rig called a lot of different things; 3 way, harbor rig, slip weight rig, river rig, steelhead rig etc. What ever you wanna call it, it's one deadly live bait rig on all kinds of species.

I use a 24-36 inch leader depending on the water I'm fishing and snags. Best bait to use with it is spawn and live leeches. I've had a lot of luck after my cousin showed me this about 10 years ago.
Good luck!

Harley

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:48pm - Mar 25,09 
nice info

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:50pm - Mar 25,09 
Fixed it. I called it a URL instead of an image on accident. Should be good to go now.

One thing I forgot to mention is how important it is to match the weight size to the current if we are drifting. Most of the time I'm using 1/2-3/4 oz. if the current is normal/steady pace. This rig can be worked dangerously too fast or way too slow, but when the speed is right for drifting, HOLD ON! I also use it for dead sticking spawn and leeches off the bottom. Just be sure to have it in a solid rod holder. I've had rods pulled in that I had to go in the water after. :shock:

Harley

Last edited by Michigander Jr. on 09:54pm - Mar 25,09, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53pm - Mar 25,09 
I saw that right as I posted. I edited mine. Nice catch.

Happy hook sets!

-simon

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09am - Mar 26,09 
here are the flies I was talking about...

http://appleton.craigslist.org/spo/1054077803.html

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:32pm - Mar 26,09 
Michigander Jr. wrote:
I've heard of this rig called a lot of different things; 3 way, harbor rig, slip weight rig, river rig, steelhead rig etc. What ever you wanna call it, it's one deadly live bait rig on all kinds of species.

I use a 24-36 inch leader depending on the water I'm fishing and snags. Best bait to use with it is spawn and live leeches. I've had a lot of luck after my cousin showed me this about 10 years ago.
Good luck!

Harley

Maybe Im not just getting it, so at the risk of sounding stupid why are the beads against the swivel? Shouldnt they be on the leader?

T-bo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Mar 26,09 
The bead is to keep the swivels from sticking together,or damaging each other,helps keep everything free and sliding.The bead is also a attracter.I like a longer dropper on the sinker 6-12 inches but everything has a time and place.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:57pm - Mar 27,09 
3 ways are good but ifind a bottom bouncer works better for me on the fox less snags our beloved fox is mostly all rock bottom lots of places for weights to hang up just my simple 2 cents worth in answer to placement of bead on setup i put one between weight and snap with slip sinkers setup as a shock absorber for the weight slamming agaainst the knot to the snap also acts as an attractor to the little fishes

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: