Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:22pm - Feb 16,09 
I live down south, about 20 minutes from Lake Shelbyville, and catching muskies/walleyes around here isn't as tough as one would think, I landed my first in each last year at the dam's spillway, and well, I want to branch out my walleye/muskie prowess this year. I've learned what to do on a lake when trying to catch these monsters, but when it comes to river fishing, around here, our rivers are just for bass/cats/carp/panfish, so any advice you could offer about the Fox would be awesome.

My brother lives just north of Yorkville on 47 and we always put in the jon right there at the Yorkville launch, but with the exception of our friend, we've yet to land a walleye/muskie in our treks.

Granted I know how to jig n' such on a lake, but in a river current that I'm not as familiar with, any advice for us? I mean I matured enough last year to know the color's to use, but its a matter of picking which bait works before I can select a color. Jig/minnows? Cranks? Tubes? Spinners?

Any advice you could offer us would certainly be appreciated, thanks a million.

PS - if you're looking for a good bass/striper lake, the one right down the road from me, the Sangchris Lake, is one of tops in the state. Just something to think about if you're looking for a nice little weekend getaway.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Feb 16,09 
I have good luck going right up under the dams in March with jigs and minnows. The eddies usually are best. I found that working it really really slow works best. Early am is best. Go by touch or feel. You might snag a few carp but thats part of the business.
Good luck hope this helps.

JP

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56pm - Feb 16,09 
I wish you luck on your Fox quest!! I know the Fox holds some great fish of both species!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:27am - Feb 17,09 
Aside from the dam area there in Yorkville, anyplace downriver to be aware of for walleye/muskie? We typically float down to Silver Spring (I think that's the name of it anyway), or sometimes will go past it even.

There's a spot or two that I've taken note of on a couple trek's the past two years. There's a channel that heads back north under a bridge that seems fairly deep, possibility there'd be anything in there? It's got a sandy/rock bottom.

And further down the river before Silver Springs there's remains of what looks like an old bridge where "rapids" develop and behind the wall is a nice little pool/collection where I caught some smallies in the current, any chance there'd be some wallies there?

Like I said, the knowledge I've gained in the past year is 30 fold of what I've learned in the previous 15 years of fishing, so for the most part its a matter of me not living up north to fish the Fox enough to know how the fish work on a river in comparison to the lakes around here.

Any more advice is welcome fellas, keep it coming. Thanks a million.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - Feb 19,09 
Obsession has taken over.

In hopes of trying to create as favorable situation as possible for my brother and I to catch our first Fox walleyes/muskies, I enlisted the help of a little known fishing tool: Google Earth.

How does this help? Sure it doesn't show current water conditions or depth or any of that stuff, BUT what it does show is the river itself, and the surrounding area.

The spot I was talking about (the channel that breaks off from the Fox river and heads back north) is a little creek line that goes underneath River Road/River Street. Now it took some maneuvering on our part last time to get as far back into the creek as we did, but when we did get back in there, we discovered that it is indeed fairly deep there. Any chance there would be some walleye/muskie in a position like that? There are some downed trees and such there, and as the creek feeds into the Fox its fairly rocky/sandy there.

Slowly starting to read habitat and stuff, but not a pro yet by any means, so any and all advice would be welcome.

Once he hit the river up in March (maybe April if it's too cold still), I will for sure let you all know how my little "research" paid off.

Good luck anglers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56am - Feb 20,09 
Now if I am correct you are talking about the creek across from silver springs? It is called Little Rock & Big Rock creeks as they both join together before hitting the fox right at the bridge. I have waded that creek quite frequently. It is a nice little body of water that gets hit pretty hard. I have never caught any muskie or walleye up beyond the bridge. Smallies aplenty though. Rock bass for sure plus the occasional cat, lots of carp, suckers & drum. It is an interesting little body of water that makes for a nice little wade. If you want eyes or muskie, stick to the area from the bridge down to the river. Its a tougher bite as I said, it gets hit pretty hard.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:08am - Feb 20,09 
I believe your right about the creek name. I talked to my brother last night actually and I'm certain that was the name he said.

Do you know if there is any walleye action there by the bridge pillars at all? I know in deeper rivers that structure like that tend to be a decent spot to to jig for them, but I wasn't sure it would be deep enough at the part of the river for them to be.

Also I think a spot I remember catching a few smallies was just a little ways downriver from that area where there used to be a road/bridge and it kind of turns into a pool behind the walls (I believe the term is an eddy?) and if I recall correctly, it was fairly deep. Is it sometimes a fair bet to say there would be walleyes where there are smallmouth? I remember catching a crappie or two there (surprised me to see crappie on the Fox actually) and I figure a fish like that would be something walleye might target to feed on. I could be wrong of course, just trying to make sure I'm starting to progress in reading conditions/patterns/habitat as well as I should be at this point.

Thanks a million guys, and just remember, ice out is almost here...thank God.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:55am - Feb 22,09 
Your doing everything right from what I see in your posts:) I think the weather is not on anyones side these days! Give it a few good weeks!

Where the LRC meets BRC and then the Fox...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

That is great fishin!! I would also move down stream to the first riffle area. About 200 yards from the mouth of BRC. I have tried to wade that area b4 in higer water and it was not fun! BECAREFUL if you try! I wouldn't again!

I heard from a good friend that where LRB meets BRC there was a Muskie sunning himself in March of 08' He went on to say it was the biggest Muskie he has ever seen!

Goodluck out there and be safe:)

Dan

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:15pm - Feb 22,09 
Community holes........that really aren't that good.

Spend time exploring..... you'll find places that others miss, especially if you're drifting in a boat, and feel a sense of accomplishment finding your own special spots instead of relying on a message board to find fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:13am - Feb 23,09 
Well for what its worth, I'm not actually looking for people's spots to fish, I'm actually just looking for advice in reading conditions/structure and things of that nature.

I'm able to find spots for the fish, but down south (outside of Lake Shelbyville) muskie/walleye fishing isn't really too possible, especially on rivers. On a lake I know what kind of structure and such to look for, but as I don't know the Fox as well as I do places here.

The more I study stuff online the greater my understanding of muskie/walleye fishing has become, but until I'm able to test any of it out on the river, I won't know of how good my research has been.

I remember bits and pieces of spots on the river that I'd like to try, and I remember a specific log jam where my brother and I got a stringer of (22) 5lb+ catfish on a float one day. So I have a good eye for spots where I think cats would be, but like I said, walleye/muskie fishing is something I'm just now studying.

May God help me through the trials and tribulations that is big game fishing. And if I don't end up catching any, at least I'll have a good story to talk about on the radio the next day at work eh?

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: