Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28pm - Mar 9,03 
Air temperature 30 to 40 degrees, water temperature 42 degrees, partly cloudy to cloudy skies, water low, visibility about 24 inches in the river and unlimited in the discharge, 5:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., jig and twisters, jig and minnow, split shot and minnow.

Everyone wants out, wants to catch fish, just wants to be out in the water feeling, well, anything. Total:

2 smallmouth bass,
1 walleye,
1 carp that was foul hooked,
1 shad that was also foul hooked.

I think I take getting out fishing for granted. Not the fact that I'll catch fish, but the fact that I am going to walk out my door and hit a river, preferably the Fox River, but I'll take any river within an hour of my house. I do this, more or less, whenever I want. I've always assumed everyone can do this. I thought that's why we work so hard when we work and do everything we possibly could to raise healthy, well adjusted children and we also do everything we possibly could do keep our wives happy.

Maybe it's the definition of happy. You go out to dinner, you pay attention when they talk, the toilets flush when you push the handle down and the roof doesn't leak. After that, what is there to do? I have a friend that will remain nameless to spare him the embarrassment that loves to fish, but can't stop coming up with reasons to not go. No, the tree didn't need trimming, TODAY, and no, the trimming of the bushes could have waited and no, the ground cover didn't really need to be spread out TODAY. The assumption by most men, I think, is that the man's wife is driving this work load. So I spoke to this man's wife one time when he wasn't home and asked her about his work load.

"He can go whenever he wants" she said. "He feels he can't enjoy himself though until all these little details are taken care of."

That is why I like the guy, but I would rather see him on the river than bent over a perfectly fine chunk of yard fussing with it. I'm working on him and hopefully, I'll get to him before he forgets how to fish.

I got to the river before day light. I still don't like stepping on and off the edge of ice but the water wasn't that deep and how bad could it be. I stepped onto the edge of the ice and it gave away and there was a split second as my feet searched for solid ground. I got the same butterflies in my stomach that I get when I watch my daughters stumble and start to fall. My feet hit, I was still standing up right and I continued on my way. Sure, no big deal you're thinking, but it was to me.

I get to the spot and cast and cast and cast and cast and come up with nothing to show for all of the arm exercise. The conditions were outstanding and I had no idea what the problem was. It was disappointing. Within a half hour Rich Delaney arrived with Tom Strange along. Rich was expected but Tom was a surprise. The last time we spoke was in this same spot months earlier. He too couldn't handle not being out anymore. Something in the blood seems to be drawing anglers out on the water.

The fishing was lame but the company was outstanding. Rich and I managed to catch a few, but Tom was nursing a sore wrist and blamed it for all the hits he seemed to be missing. We explained the sucker theory to him. I think he would have been perfectly happy to catch a sucker. Rich and I had planned to spend most of the day exploring and we headed off on our exploring. Tom switched positions as we were leaving, determined to get something from this hole. We knew we would see him again soon. As soon as the water warmed.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:37am - Mar 10,03 
Man Ken your posts are definatly some of the best written anywhere! You have the knack of writing that makes it seem as though I am actually on the water! :lol: Ever think of a career as a book author? Or at the very least the host of a fishing colum in one of the local papers? Wow hope you get out quite a bit this year if for nothing else so I can enjoy reading these amazingly written posts you have the talent of bringing to us!!! I have a brand new set of waders I plan to break in on the Fox,hopefully maybe one day I'll have the pleasure of running to you!!! Till then Keep those lines tight and poles bent :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19am - Mar 10,03 
Just like our friend Any Luc, Ken does have an extreme amount of talent for the written word (and if you check his 3/6 report good pictures also).

Ken spends a lot of time on the river fishing it for pleasure and as a guide so if you have questions or would like to learn how to fish it he would be the man to talk to Robert, I’m sure he would make it worth the drive from the south side.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47am - Mar 10,03 
Thanks guys.
I re-read this one and their were a few things I wasn't happy with, but as my wife keeps telling me, "Oh, just live with it."

I'm going to have a fair amount of free time from now till May 1st when I get bsuy with the Kid Fishin' stuff.

I'm going to try to write as much as possible and take a lot of pictures up till then.

Glad you're enjoying them.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: