Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00am - Aug 10,08 
This board has sure been quiet as of late. I've been down to BATAVIA BAIT AND TACKLE a few times and they tell me it sure has been slooow. I believe the $4.00 a gallon gas prices are cutting into everyones budget and those weekend trips are being kept closer to home. I am saving up some cash to buy a nifty Abu-Garcia baitcaster. I can buy it cheaper at BATAVIA BAIT AND TACKLE then I can at Cabalas or Basspro. (GO FIGURE). Batavia bait can also order specific rods and reels from Shimano, ST.Croix etc, and they will tell you upfront, what they will cost. IT never hurts to shop around and help the little guy out!!! The fishing has been up and down just like the water levels. The walleyes have been showing up a bit more and I hope it doesn't mean a quick fall approaching. Kids are back at school and summer is fleeting but I still want to enjoy a bit more of the summer before the fall bite starts. Smallies have related to the channels a bit more with the lower water but get kicked back out to the first break and SCATTERED as the water comes up. l It has been doing this ALL Summer long. I have tied into a couple of smaller muskies when out wading and one Monster Muskie 42-44 inch while throwing crankbaits. I believe these muskies might have been washed down-stream in that they have taken up residence in places I have never seen holding Muskies before!! Good luck The Fishin Musician.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:05pm - Aug 10,08 
I made it out on Friday to Yville. I was not aware of how much work was going on or I would have headed to Aurora. Not good fishing for me. I quit after a couple of hours & hit Big Rock creek on the way home to salvage my day. I threw just about everything in my little tackle box, many colors of twisters & helgies & a few cranks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24am - Aug 12,08 
Kev and Kev,
I drive along the river from Aurora down past Yorkville numerous times a week, including weekends. I live a two minute walk from the section Kevkom likes to fish. I get out every weekend to the river or a creek.

Except at the dams, I have yet to see anyone in the water or along its shores so far this year.

In the creeks I fish, I have not come across a single set of footsteps along the shores.

That's a good thing for me. I've been fishing alone now for two years and have not run into anyone while out there except once.

So, unless someone leaves still another dam report, I wouldn't expect much else. There's just nobody out there and fishing dams is a waste of time.

I'm starting to feel like the river and it's creeks are my private fishing grounds.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - Aug 12,08 
I was out below Dayton dam last week and got 4 cats within 2 hours, and a lot of missed hits while baiting up (using 2 rods with Sonny's).I plan on getting out there again this evening for a while to try for some more. Gonna try to get up to Saw Wee Kee Friday to try my luck while wading and drifting livers.(haven't done that since last year).By the way Ken,I went to Dayton dam both Sat. and Sun. evening and the place was packed so I turned around and went elsewhere.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:18pm - Aug 12,08 
The high water most of the year has kept people from fishing the Fox quite a bit. Now that the water is down you get the effects of the dog days keeping people away also.

As far as the fishing, the smallies (at least for me) have been on the 1st inside seam. The bank's been a waste of a cast (even though I keep doing it)and ALL of the bites have been on that bubble line (seam). I've fished and fished around the main channels and flats trying to get bit on the outside edge of the seams, but they all still have been coming from the inside edge.

I love the water level and clarity right now for fishing the main river even though I'm not getting bit like I would like. Maybe with the falling water temps things are gonna turn around soon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:17pm - Aug 17,08 
Been down to south Batavia area several times, Down stream from the dam of course. I'm with Ken G, I cant stand fishing the dams. Just Too many people for me.

Was out last Sunday in fact with my partner Pauleye. We landed a dozen or so smallies and a couple cats. 1 cat had some size to it around 20". Tried an old favorite too behind "Funway" This areas looks so promising but we had absolutely nothing to show for for our efforts their.

Seems the better fishing is not always in the same place twice. Gotta get out and explore. Also I agree with Fishin Musician. I was wading in about 3 feet of water and throwin a spinner just for grins when something very large followed it up to the surface and turned off at the last minute. It turned like a big snake at the surface and the i felt the force of its thrust through my waters. Kinda spooked me it was so big! Maybe a Muskie? Don't know but thats exactly why I love to fish the river, you just never know what you might tie into. Fish on! T-bo

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: