Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:12am - Apr 10,08 
Could anyone tell me if the White Bass have begun to move up the Fox? I'd love to get into a school of them up here. I have at my disposal probably a dozen locations between the Stateline and Waterford, Wisconsin where I could fish for them. Among them, below the Waterford Dam, Rochester Dam, Burlington Dam, Silver Lake Park in Kenosha County, and around Wilmot, Wisconsin (the old dam site). What do you use when fishing for them? I've heard Twister Tails, small cranks and green-headed white-bodied jigs for artificials and crawlers or small minnows for natural lures. Also, what size do you consider appropriate to keep these fish for a meal? Never caught one before, but I would assume since it generally is the size of a Crappie, they'd have to be about 10" or so before it would be worth it to keep some to eat?

Thanks,

Littlewelshman

Lord Jesus, You have given me forgiveness, life and salvation. Let me always remain in You as a branch remains in the vine. Send me out in the power of Your spirit to live and work to Your praise and glory. <><

TGIF: Thank God I'm Forgiven

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:31am - Apr 11,08 
I don't know if the white bass have started moving up the river yet but i think that it still might be a bit early, give it another three weeks or so for the water to warm up and then you might be able to get them. But there always seems to be a resident population of fish in the river in the silver lake/wilmot stretch of the river. My family has a small cottage on the river in silver lake and we normally catch a few of the little buggers while bottom fishing with night crawlers.

Your right on with your tackle, but one piece of advice is go to bass pro and by a bunch of the maribou crappie jigs they sell there. They are like $1.29 for 10 of each color and they always seem to do well for most anything that will take a minnow. I normally cast them on an ultra light rig upstream and work it down along structure like rocks or logs and the fish seem to come off the structure and just pounce on those little jigs. My favorite size to run is 1/16 ounce on 4lb test line.

Another thing, if you really want to get some good whitebass action, take the trip up to the wolf river in fremont when they are running... WHAT A BLAST THAT IS. between two boats, three guys each our party has had several 400-500 fish trips between two days of fishing. We have our trip this year booked for the 14-16 of may but i think we will be too early for the run because of how cold the water temps are up there still. We really need some warm rain and sunny weather for a long time to warm the water up in time for our trip

hope this helps

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Apr 12,08 
Hey where do you stay at which resort? We've had our trip booked since Jan. We are trying out the new resort this year in Fremont. We have usually stayed up at Blue top for many years. The new bait shop in town has a resort Wolf River Outfitters sounds like a great place. We always go the weekend of mothers day this year I agree may definetly be to early. I hope not but we haven't hit it good for awhile. We do better in the fall.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:55am - Apr 12,08 
We have stayed at Red Banks for at least 10 years now and they normally put us up very nicely. Even if we do miss the main run we usually pick a few up. And if the white bass aren't there, there are always other fish that are normally willing to bite, whether it be catfish, drum, or anything else. We go as a family and always have a good time catching fish whatever it may be. My biggest goal this year is to get another sturgeon, those beasts fight like crazy. I've caught one each year for the past 2 years and hopt to keep getting them. :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:06pm - Apr 12,08 
That one in my avitar was the first for me right at the mouth by the rocks. I've hooked into at leats three the last two times up there. They do fight well. Almost lost a couple of poles though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:34am - Apr 17,08 
Hey littlewelshman,

I went out yesterday to hit up a small creek for some white bass/stripers, my friend got one & I got the skunk. I would give it a few weeks before I go out again.

Grigger

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:47am - Apr 18,08 
I saw a post on another website saying that a guy got a few whities up in wilmot by where the old damn was using jigs and minnows. If i had time i would take a run up there and check it out. If anyone does check this out be careful cause the water is high and moving quickly up there and be sure to let us know how you did. :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:00pm - Apr 18,08 
My outlaw side of the family from Wisconsin have this proven theory.
They swear best time to catch white bass is when the lilacs bloom. I have followed it and have good success.

Tight Lines!!

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: