Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25am - Mar 30,08 
I am looking for some good bait and rig ideas for walleye and smallies around the Wilson Street dam and FunWay area. I have had some luck with slip bobbers but only possible in the pools. Whats good in the moving water were i know those big fish are at? Jigs, Lures, what?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:23pm - Mar 30,08 
Split shot and circle hook with a fathead this time of year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:06pm - Mar 30,08 
I fish the Batavia area a lot. Usually between Funway and the old archery range. There are many locations and they vary by the season, river flow, time of day, etc. They usually sit in drop-offs next to flow areas. I have had luck using a jig and a twister tail (usually good for small mouths). I have had good luck this past season with a traditional floating 3-4 inch Rapala. I have also used a Mepps spinner but end up losing them more than catching fish. I know a lot of guys use live bait for walleyes but I enjoy not having to drag along a bait bucket.
Have fun!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01pm - Mar 30,08 
I like throwing a jig with a twister tail when the walleyes are really active, but Fox River walleye tend to be real finnicky when the water is a cold as it is right now (35-40). Your best bet right now to hook up with one is the smallest splitshot and hook you can get away with. Many times the walleye are on the seam where current meets the calm water. I really like to use a lindy rig when I need to keep a minnow where a splitshot won't hold. When you feel the bite, drop your rod tip and let them take the bait before setting the hook.

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: