Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Mar 17,08 
Anybody ever fish the Big Rock Creek in the Plano/Yorkville area?? It runs right behind my uncles house near plano and was thinking of hitting it up........ any insight is appreciated. Thanks!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29pm - Mar 17,08 
Hi, I fish the Big Rock alot. It is a good creek to cpr smallmouth bass. I also catch some Rock Bass and Cats. Bob

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37am - Mar 18,08 
Depends which portion. I know all those areas very well, just be careful about land, and who's land you're on.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:11am - Mar 18,08 
In Plano, the city owns a big chunk of land that runs along the west side. Walk all the way north, wade all the way south.

Near the treatment plant south of Plano, covered a lot of that water both north and south.

Further north in Kane County, Big Rock Quarry is owned by the Forest Preserve District. Maps will also show you that about a mile of the creek is forest preserve property.

I wave to land owners as I wander down the creek. No one has ever said boo. Technically, if you access the creek through public land, there's nothing they can do about you wading it. They don't own the water, they don't own the land under it.

Even though they'll argue with you that they do.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:29am - Mar 18,08 
Thanks guys! i just know that the water level in spots gets pretty low, and didn't know what kind of fish it held. My bro and I caught a couple of cats out of there last summer, but no bass. Will keep you posted on future outings.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Mar 20,08 
Think small baits, clear water and spooky fish, a beautiful little creek. CPR ONLY!!! Big carp frequent all the holes if your up for the challenge. I had one shoot out of a hole and grab my jig as soon as it hit the bottom. He ran me through a couple of log jams and was throwing up a rooster tail as he ran through the shallows. I never did land that fish, he got to far upstream and I couldn't untangle from all the wood he had me wrapped up in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Mar 22,08 
Pharmacyguy wrote:
Think small baits, clear water and spooky fish, a beautiful little creek. CPR ONLY!!!

I agree about the small bait comment, but the CPR comment would be an opinion and a choice. It's definitely not a regulation.

The creek flows right past and feeds in and out of Big Rock Quarry Forest Preserve. The quarry lake is C&R only, but no mention is made of the creek through the preserve. I'll be calling to clarify.

I release 99.9 percent of what I catch from local flowing waters. But now and then I like to practice CKE (Catch, Kill and Eat).

Talked about it for years, but this year I am definitely going to be keeping a smallie from every body of water I catch one out of.

They are one tasty fish, at least out of clean water. I'll know by the end of summer.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08pm - Mar 22,08 
I like to keep a fish now and then too. The Fox River is a much more sustainable resource. According to the DNR and the law the land owner owns to the center of the water. If you are wading without permission you are trespassing. :oops:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:47pm - Mar 22,08 
fishinguy2 wrote:
According to the DNR and the law the land owner owns to the center of the water. If you are wading without permission you are trespassing. :oops:

I think I know where this one is heading...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24pm - Mar 22,08 
does that mean i would be trespasing ia a boat also thanks ken

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:45pm - Mar 22,08 
fishinguy2 wrote:
I like to keep a fish now and then too. The Fox River is a much more sustainable resource. According to the DNR and the law the land owner owns to the center of the water. If you are wading without permission you are trespassing. :oops:

Please show this law.

To my knowledge, no one may own, or can own any waterway in the state of IL. This does not count as your pond in the back or your yard. They may own the land as frontage, but nothing more.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Mar 23,08 
I am not saying that I agree with this Illinois law. I think that we should be able to wade any stream. I found out the law from a DNR guy, ask someone from the DNR. If they tell you something different then I would like to speak to them. Being in a boat is not the issue, wading is. They own the land, not the water. Lets all talk to our state rep.s to get this changed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:37pm - Mar 25,08 
The CPO's I run into know that what the DNR person said to you is incorrect.

Things to read:

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/vie ... hp?t=28149

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/vie ... hp?t=28188

http://www.Chitown-Angler.com/wd_journal/vie ... f=28&t=101

It's all long and boring.
In a nutshell, nobody can shag you off any stream no matter how small.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:29pm - Mar 25,08 
Great post Ken! Thanks for the info, it looks like lots of time and effort was put into this research.

This really needs to be sticky'ed for everyone to have and use.

I have been kicked out of downtown Naperville before wading the DuPage river. Regular city cops told me there was a city ordinance against wading the river inside city limits. I was so ticked off, and had talked to other fisherman that were told the same thing, I gave up fishing it.

What a shame, great fishing to be had..... hmmmm the possibilities.......

Ken, I haven't even been around here long and already I feel as though I have absorbed VOLUMES of knowledge just from your posts alone. Thank you sir.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41pm - Mar 25,08 
Great info, Ken. I agree Illinois needs to change their law to reflect our federal rights. Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:59pm - Mar 26,08 
Sir Ken,

If I formed a group to change the laws in Illinois for access to rivers here would be my initial plan.

Year One.
1. Get a pro bono lawyer or law group to help research exactly what the laws are and help us get a clear understanding of them.
2. plan what we would like to change and to what
3. create a tree trunk map of all the governmental agencies that are involved with creating these laws, funding these laws and enforcing these laws.
4. Find out which is the most influential.
5. Find out the Committees that this would come before.
6. Get the names of all members of the committee, their party affiliations and their voting records where available.
7. Do FOIAs of these committee members to find out where their campaign contributions come from.
8. Go to some committee meetings to see how they work. Who likes the laws and who doesn’t and what the issues are.

Year two
1. decide which parts of the laws are Fed based, state based, county based.
2. Start raising money. Start contributing to select campaigns and war chests.
3. Keep IMMACULATE financial records!!!!!
3. Formulate the way you wish the laws to read.
4. Get members to your group, explain what you wish to do. Start the calls, letters, emails, etc.
5. Develop patience.

Year three and beyond –
1. keep at it, be flexible (not with your goals, but your methods and tactics) and train your successors
2. When you burn out – stop.

I’ve had people tell me “it doens’t matter who’s in office – they are all the same” as an explanation for their political inaction. WRONG! It does matter and they ain’t all the same. Chicago is going to be quite a different city without Mayor Daley. The direction of government will be quite different with a different president. Some will be pleased, some won’t. It matters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:33pm - Mar 26,08 
Sir Bob,
I think it's been recently shown that trying to do this anywhere else but on my own is a waste of my time.

Either they can link to that info the way I had it, or do without.

No great loss to me. It will get done either way.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21pm - Mar 26,08 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, and we've been over this before, is that each creek and each landowner needs to be sued and each creek and each landowner's case is separate. Some of these landowner's have extreme deep pockets and will fight tooth and nail to the supreme court. It's gonna take a hell of a war chest. I mean a big one...........plus the time to spend years in court, and if you can find a "great" law firm willing to do this, well, that would be a great accomplishment. As far as I'm concerned, and there's plenty of uninformed lanwoner's I'd love to sue, this would be a major expensive endeavor. I think it's a whole lot easier finding a nice quiet place that has more fish than one can catch in a lifetime than tackling something like this. It's easy drawing up a plan, it's entirely different having the deep pockets and intestinal fortitude during fishing season when they're biting to do something like this. I will boldly say, I think Ken would agree.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06pm - Mar 30,08 
Ken G wrote:
Pharmacyguy wrote:
Think small baits, clear water and spooky fish, a beautiful little creek. CPR ONLY!!!

I agree about the small bait comment, but the CPR comment would be an opinion and a choice. It's definitely not a regulation.

I feel strongly about CPR on Big Rock because it is quite small and there is at least 1 dam that keeps the Fox from replenishing the whole of it. An angler with some skill or a bucket of minnows could remove a sizable chunk of the breeding population very quickly. I would never eat a smallmouth, but I don't eat fish :wink: :wink: :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:54pm - Apr 2,08 
Pharmacyguy wrote:
Ken G wrote:
Pharmacyguy wrote:

I feel strongly about CPR on Big Rock because it is quite small and there is at least 1 dam that keeps the Fox from replenishing the whole of it. An angler with some skill or a bucket of minnows could remove a sizable chunk of the breeding population very quickly. I would never eat a smallmouth, but I don't eat fish :wink: :wink: :wink:

I completely agree, I would never eat a Smallmouth anytime, regardless if it was legal, and certainly not from a stream, the quality of Big Rock.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: