Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:14pm - Jan 2,08 
Yes, it's the time of year where if you want to increase your chances of catching a fish out of the Fox, go fish the outflow of a treatment plant. Caught smallies every month of the year for over 4 years. Relied on this area for the winter months to keep that streak going.

Best one I know of is between Montgomery and Oswego. That's all the info you get for now. If you are reading this, then you know how to use the internet to find this spot.

The river is flowing at about 2000cfs, so wading to it would be stupid. Running across the tracks from the route 25 side would be even more stupid. Unless you are me.

West side, under route 30, walk down the tracks. You'll figure it out when you get to the river.

I won't be doing this anytime soon. Have done it too many times to care anymore. Don't need live bait, but it increases your catch rate. Water flowing out should be about 55 degrees. Don't forget to follow it down stream to at least the high power lines. The warm water hugs the west shore to there and beyond.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:56pm - Jan 2,08 
I may be coming down with this serious infliction this weekend.....

If the symptoms are cold, numb knuckles, frost-nipped cheeks, and smallie smellin' hands, I'll definately be calling into work sick next week.

:D :D :D

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 07:51pm - Jan 2,08 
Thanks Ken. I gotta get down there one of these days.

Question... What is the best approach to fish the warm water discharge in St. Charles? I have a hard time since I don't wade. Last weekend I fished it for a half hour or so with no luck. I would stand on the pipe and cast a hair jig and minnow under a float out into the warm water, letting it float down river. As you know, that whole East bank South of the pipe is private right there. What other options does a guy have?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:22am - Jan 3,08 
This weekend is going to be perfect for hitting this spot. Should be dense fog and warm enough to not have to deal with ice on the guides. I expect a report from someone.

I've hit all the plants in the winter from St. Charles through Yorkville. Never did well in St. Charles and I would wade along the shore following it down stream. It seems to look better than it produces.

Geneva is better, but only when the water is lower. With it this high, the warmer water hugs too close to shore to be of any real value.

Batavia would be a waste of time pretty much any time. Yorkville too.

Bring minnows, not really necessary, but better. Bring something small too. The area fills up with bluegills now too.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:33am - Jan 3,08 
Is not wading through that area an option? Is there enough dry land that is not privately owned to be able to walk the shoreline?

From the investigating I have done, it looks like having wet-feet is the only real option w/o a kayak.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Jan 3,08 
At the St. Charles outflow, guys were making a mess out of the area. The person that lives right next to it built a fence that just about goes into the water. He tried to have fishing banned at the outflow, but it's park district land.

Problem here is that the water is a little deeper because it's just about the beginning of the pool above the Geneva dam.

You can wade along the shore, apparently the guy that lives there doesn't like that either. But the law is he only owns up to the yearly high water mark.

So, of course, I would go and sit on the rocks in front of his house, but below the high water mark. :D

You can wade the shore pretty far down, but it can get a little deep pretty fast from what I remember.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:34pm - Jan 4,08 
yes i koow that spot

and yes their are a ton of pan fish their

hitting the plant by my house this weekend ?? let you know how i do

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:02pm - Feb 14,08 
This Sunday the 17th they say is going to be 35, overcast and possibly snowing. Perfect for hitting the plant if you just have to get out.

The river level is just high enough to be dangerous, so park under route 30 on the west side of the river and hike down the railroad tracks to the river. Then just hike down the shore to the outflow.

I have a feeling nobody has been there this year, so it may be pretty good.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:56pm - Feb 18,08 
yes was out at the crap plant this saturday took the low bridge on the r@r tracks to get their what :shock: :shock: advencure got to the discharge area water was moving fast and large ice ilands floting down the way me and tim were throwing river jigs with crawa and twisters nothing hit :cry: their was some great smells :shock: we did manage to land one shirt and a large rock that hit like a carp the water by the dishcharge was shallow this was to the right of the flow tim walked down to a nother pool still no luck just happy to get out

took the high r@r back much batter walk if you know what I mean LOLO

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:08pm - Feb 18,08 
Saturday with those bright blues skies, sunrise or sunset would have been the best time.

Otherwise that water is too clear and the fish don't like the sun.

I can't believe you took the low bridge.

Looking at it made my back hurt.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06am - Feb 19,08 
yes the low bridge was well what is SCARY last plank some one unbolted so had to improvise that' why the high road was better yes I thought the sun would make it harder leson lurned
1 no low bridge
2 no sun
3 bring live baite
4 need 2 warm days in a row
LOLO cabin feaver that's all

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:29pm - Feb 27,08 
I never seen the low bridge I just a walk over the railroad tracks from RT.25. I guess I never looked for the low bridge, way make harder for yourself!!
Been there one time this year with no luck, but there was a local river rat already there with live bait and I thought he was just a flathead fisherman!!LOL Tony S

Board index » Rivers » Fox
Jump to: