Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22pm - Feb 24,17 
So I've been seeing a lot of reports about steellies biting hard at creeks in IN. I've never been out there but from what I've seen Salt creek and Trail creek are where they're hitting. I would like to give it a shot but I fear I might take a long drive for no reward (I stay in Cicero). I don't have any fishing buddies at all and I've heard how difficult these fish can be to catch. Most of the research I've done shows floats with a variety of baits/lures are the way to catch them. If anybody can spare some knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05pm - Feb 24,17 
In my opinion you're a couple weeks late. There's always going to be a few fresh fish moving in, but my guess is the bulk of the spring run came in early and those fish were all up on beds last week during that warm spell. If we get another good rain event head out as son as the water starts to drop. The key to catching steelies in the creeks is finding them before they get too pressured. The fish I saw on my last trip were all on really shallow gravel and very spooky. I guess it'd be a good time to go explore and get a good look and the creeks because they're so low and clear..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:19pm - Feb 24,17 
I'm not sure, the people I've spoke to mentioned fish are jumping through the barrier at trail creek just this week. Then again I can't be certain how accurate they are. I see, I'm not too familiar with these fish so finding them might be a problem for me. In the event that I take a chance and go anyway, would I be better off casting lures or running a baited float? Spawn?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46am - Feb 25,17 
I fished Trail pretty heavy over the last 4 months or so and from what I saw Monday, things are winding down. Maybe with some cooler temps and another shot of rain we'll see another push of fish. I don't really like fishing beds and thats where all the fish were. That being said there's going to be dropbacks and at least a trickle of fresh fish coming in until the end of April so if you have your heart set on stream steelies by all means go. The only way you're ever going to learn is by getting out. Two tips to get you started: 1. Watch the weather not the fishing reports, weather will tell you whats going to happen, reports tell you what happenED. 2. The time you spend walking will catch you more fish than the time you spend with your line in the water. think of it like hunting, scout, stalk, aim, then shoot. Guys that sit in one spot all day making the same cast or drift 1000 times catch a fish every now and then, but I would guess that 90% of the fish I catch are hooked on the first 2 or 3 good casts or drifts in a spot. so it pays to hit a lot of different spots.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Feb 25,17 
Southshore is spot on. Creek steelhead fishing is as much a hunt, as it is fishing. Being new, I second his thought of going now, when the water is low and clear. While the creeks change from year to year with new dead falls, flows, and holes, many stay the same. Learn the holes now with these conditions, and then when the water is high and cloudy, you will know where the fish should be holding. Many of the spots I fish on Trail produce fish in the same spots, year after year. Yes, the fight is similar to a knife fight in a phone booth, but that adds to the challenge. If it were easy, you wouldn't enjoy the success as much. :winker

The bonus for a male caught at this time of the year, is the vibrant colors they have.

Tom

Twin Fins

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: