Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - Jan 15,17 
Between the iced over river in the recent cold snap and some skunk trips , I just haven't felt that groove . Today was the day it took a turn for the better.

The gauge is still broke from the ice and the battery on my thermometer chose today to crap out, minor details . The river is up and out of it's banks at spots and definitely muddy and cold . Mudlines at creekmouths as the creeks are less muddy than the river . Air temps 30ish , overcast, slight breeze . I wore gloves while walking about but fished without them .

Today was a tour of inflows, shoreline related slack/slow spots and shoreline related eddies. No wading strictly from shore . Govt. Mule [ Telstar Sessions ] was cranked on the drive from spot to spot , just felt like that kind of day .

3 smallmouth bass , average sized all on 1/0 weighted keeper hook with a 4 inch 'pede . 1 off a hump in slow water, 1 from the sweetspot from the head off an eddy and 1 off some rip rap by a boat launch . All three fish hit real light, felt mush when I started dragging the lure again after long pauses . Also got 1 drum smallish in size, off the same rig off the outside seam of the same eddy I got the smallmouth in . Bottom content in the slow area was mostly cobble with some larger rock . The bottom of the eddy was a mix of cobble, soft dark , sand and waterwillow stubble . The smallmouth was on the tip of a waterwillow stubble point that caused the eddy . The drum was on cobble .

1 pike on a spoon in a eddy behind a riprap point, bottom cobble to soft muck/sand . Pike was at the base of the riprap on the transition from hard to soft bottom . It popped the spoon hard as it was dropping . Thanks to using tieable wire , I landed it . Decent size but nothing to really brag on .

5 walleye , all at inflows with cobble to larger rock bottoms . 3 on 1/8 oz darter head jig with jig spinner and swimbait with a slow steady retrieve just above bottom inside the seam of the faster river flow. All three of them grabbed it after it made contact with a rock or hump . 2 walleye on a rapala jointed floating minnow , slow retrieve against the current on creek/river seam . I just felt the vibration stop and set the hook, never really felt a hit . Best guess is they took it and swam towards me . Walleyes small to medium sized

5 crappie in slower water between the outside seam and the shore, suspended in water column. 1/16 oz ball head jig with jig spinner and sassy shad, two to three count drop, then slow steady retrieve . same general area I got the smallmouth on the hump . Crappies good sized.

I saw a lot of water fowl , a handful of hawks and one small flock of turkeys . Spooked one deer out in the woods, squirrels were active, I saw beaver and coon tracks in softer bottom along the shore but never saw the critters themselves . Only meet one other guy out fishing, a bunch of folks out riding bikes, walking and jogging the paths. Some very nice spandex out on the paths

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Jan 15,17 
So, did you practice talking to all the wildlife you came across? Next week could see you out and about a bit more with the warm temps foretasted.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38pm - Jan 15,17 
Yes , I do , need all the practice I can get . Tuesday got the silver snake, other than that , fishing as much as possible .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20pm - Jan 15,17 
Norm the "beaver whisperer!" :rotflmao

Excellent report as always amigo.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08am - Jan 16,17 
them beavers rat out the smallmouth hiding spots

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: