Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:28am - May 29,16 
Took Garrett and an old HS buddy of his (Zach) smallie fishing. Zach is an avid lake fisherman for lm bass and has never caught a smallie or even waded a river. Took them to a fishy stretch with a lot of territory to wade. We caught a lot of smallies - I think Zach is hooked! Don't know if he is an official "River Rat" yet as I can't recall if he took a dip (think so?). Logged almost 14,000 steps on my Garmin vivosmart HR... that’s a heck of a work out in current. At the end of the day, legs spent, I renewed my status as a River Rat by tripping between two boulders in swift current (I was busted too as both Garrett and Zach saw my chest high dip in the river). The surprise of the day was a walleye that I caught (didn't know they were in there - a mental note for Fall was made). Few pics with captions below…

Zach with one of his smallies

Zach was a good student and he really caught on fast. All that time wasted fishing still water for big, fat, ugly green fish paid off with a good fish aptitude and high fish IQ

Garrett and Zach got on the board quick and I was falling way behind until I landed this hog. I enjoyed fishing with the boys but was very happy to have a photographer for this beast…

He measured, exactly, 18 inches in the water with his mouth wide open and tail open in a swimming position. I wanted to get him back fast and didn’t want to stress him with an official measurement with mouth closed and tail compressed. I have no idea how much length you gain by doing that? I figured,... I’d call it at 19" and that would be fair? Anyone with knowledge on the subject care to chime in? Can I, in good conscience, stretch it to 20" ?

Great day to be in the water with good company!

Cheers,
Russ

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:18pm - May 30,16 
Quote:
Can I, in good conscience, stretch it to 20" ?

No you cannot. You have to put in more time on that stream and film the results. Then you can earn the bragging rights to such a beautiful fish with great color. I can't wait for the follow up reports with the boys.

Great job of fishing and training Russ.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45am - May 31,16 
looks like a great day! hard to beat wet-wading for smallies in a small river. one of my favorites

good question about the length... I think you'd lose some length by closing the mouth, but gain by pinching the tail. Maybe offset, or gain 1/2 inch net, I don't think it would gain you an extra inch, and definitely not 2

either way its a real nice fish

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:05pm - Jun 3,16 
Hey, i know that spot :winker Right in my back yard. Great fish. My cousin caught a 19 inch just on the other side of the train bridge last year. And yes there are walleye in there. Big ones too, at least for that river. Got a 27 incher last August that i had mounted. Also have caught a 26 incher and several in the 18-24 inch range. I catch them much further upstream from the train bridge though. I too discovered them by pure accident while fishing for smallies.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40pm - Jun 4,16 
By your grin, that was a great fish. I judge the fish by the fight and where and how I caught it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:36am - Jun 8,16 
indiana_angler wrote:
looks like a great day! hard to beat wet-wading for smallies in a small river. one of my favorites

good question about the length... I think you'd lose some length by closing the mouth, but gain by pinching the tail. Maybe offset, or gain 1/2 inch net, I don't think it would gain you an extra inch, and definitely not 2

either way its a real nice fish

Have a fishing buddy that said the exact same thing. I'll just leave him at 18" and call it a nice smallie.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:45am - Jun 8,16 
Brad24 wrote:
Hey, i know that spot :winker Right in my back yard. Great fish. My cousin caught a 19 inch just on the other side of the train bridge last year. And yes there are walleye in there. Big ones too, at least for that river. Got a 27 incher last August that i had mounted. Also have caught a 26 incher and several in the 18-24 inch range. I catch them much further upstream from the train bridge though. I too discovered them by pure accident while fishing for smallies.

Those are really nice walleyes for a small river system! But, this small river is connected to a medium river ;-) so, that could help explain the size and quantity? With this info, this spot and the one you mentioned makes perfect sense with the dam a couple miles upstream. Bet this area is pretty fun when they school up in Fall.

Have you ever done well further east, just east of the main North/South US HWY? There's a small/natural dam across from the campground that should be good but I never do great there. Found an otter den right there. I suspect the otters start each new day at this spot, clean it out and move on. They are better fisherman than I am :lol:

Thanks for the reply. Nice to know a local.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:48am - Jun 8,16 
chuckt wrote:
By your grin, that was a great fish. I judge the fish by the fight and where and how I caught it.

I haven't really fished for smallies since moving out here 12-ish years ago. Mostly been fishing for STS just over the border in Michigan. Just getting back into smallies again and haven't caught a smallie that size in a very long time. Hence the reason for the grin :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:00pm - Jun 8,16 
Razzo wrote:
Brad24 wrote:

Those are really nice walleyes for a small river system! But, this small river is connected to a medium river ;-) so, that could help explain the size and quantity? With this info, this spot and the one you mentioned makes perfect sense with the dam a couple miles upstream. Bet this area is pretty fun when they school up in Fall.

Have you ever done well further east, just east of the main North/South US HWY? There's a small/natural dam across from the campground that should be good but I never do great there. Found an otter den right there. I suspect the otters start each new day at this spot, clean it out and move on. They are better fisherman than I am :lol:

Thanks for the reply. Nice to know a local.

Yes i figure they just come upstream from where the rivers meet. It's just that little stretch right through town where i have caught them though. Actually 90 percent of them come from one spot. It's usually a late evening bite and usually start getting into em in August. Don't catch a ton of em but if you get into one theres a good chance it will be a nice one. I'm not sure what campground you are talking about, but i have fished east of town in the past. Usually have decent luck on smallies.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:49pm - Jun 9,16 
Brad24 wrote:
Yes i figure they just come upstream from where the rivers meet. It's just that little stretch right through town where i have caught them though. Actually 90 percent of them come from one spot. It's usually a late evening bite and usually start getting into em in August. Don't catch a ton of em but if you get into one theres a good chance it will be a nice one...

That's a classic Fall walleye spot for a lot of reasons (provided the stream has walleyes which this one does 8)~ ). When I used to walleye fish on the Fox, it was Fall and the bite usually started just before sunset and after.

Anyhow, pretty cool to find another Hoosier that fishes the same system. I might go Saturday if your interested. Shoot me a PM and we can swap cell phone numbers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42pm - Jun 9,16 
Razzo wrote:
Brad24 wrote:
Yes i figure they just come upstream from where the rivers meet. It's just that little stretch right through town where i have caught them though. Actually 90 percent of them come from one spot. It's usually a late evening bite and usually start getting into em in August. Don't catch a ton of em but if you get into one theres a good chance it will be a nice one...

That's a classic Fall walleye spot for a lot of reasons (provided the stream has walleyes which this one does 8)~ ). When I used to walleye fish on the Fox, it was Fall and the bite usually started just before sunset and after.

Anyhow, pretty cool to find another Hoosier that fishes the same system. I might go Saturday if your interested. Shoot me a PM and we can swap cell phone numbers.

I'm supposed to fish on the big lake at Mich city saturday with a former charter capt who is a friend of mine, he's pre fishing for a tourney Sunday. Wave forecast though looks iffy so that may fall through. I took my son this evening, started by the power plant and got nothing there. We took off and tried where the rivers meet and got 2 little smallies and one that was around 2 pounds or so. I also caught a small white bass on the wabash side. Also seen a guy catch about a 15 inch walleye in that ankle deep water on the east bank.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41pm - Jun 10,16 
Brad24 wrote:
...I also caught a small white bass on the wabash side. Also seen a guy catch about a 15 inch walleye in that ankle deep water on the east bank.

White bass, this keeps getting better. Used to love catching white and yellow bass on the Fox (long time ago).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15am - Jun 12,16 
Cool report and some nice lookin' fish :gpost

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: