Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38am - Nov 10,10 
Red handled pliers - check… shamrock - check… lucky hat – check… same clothes as last trip - check.
What a beautiful day was Tuesday on the Joey. River still low, water temp 42 and clear.
Yes, it was a picture perfect day. We started out with big expectations and were not disappointed. Within hour we had our first take down, lost that one but we got a good look at him. All bright and chrome as he spit the plug back at us. Woke Denny up, and put us on notice that the steelies were on the job and not giving any slack today. So watching squirrels chase each other in the trees was out.
The next run we tried, we connected with a nice hen that slammed the rod so hard I thought it was going to go flying into the water. Denny right on top of this one and did a great job of keeping it out a harm’s way, until I cleared the other rods and got in position to net. One in the box, heart pounding – man, that was great.
We regrouped and started the drift at the top of the run. We must have moved down that run for damn near a quarter of a mile until the last 20 feet where the current tails out. Whammo!! Another nice hen smacks the same lure. Again the fire drill, Den fights the fish, I gather rods, move the boat away from trouble, anchor down, and coach Denny on how to bring this one along side of the boat. She had some weight and after a few jumps and several runs came not so meekly to the net.
We keep moving tried a few more spots in classic holding areas. Nadda. Still hunting we go to another one of my spots and set rods and slid down 50 feet. This time the inside rod goes off, from my point of view it was unbelievable, the rod was nearly bent to the water! Drag screaming oh yeah there was a FISH ON. This one was a nice male, rosy cheeks and just a hint of a rainbow red stripe, beautiful.
Regroup and start at the top, and keep moving and watching the rod tips intently which paid off because 200 feet down from the last fish we got another. Gigantic take down again. The steelhead were not messing around today. After much huffing and puffing by Denny and the fish she came to my waiting net.
We were spent, emotions drained and drowning in the satisfaction of success. We tried a couple of more areas and decided to call it a day.
4 for 5 and in time to beat rush hour to boot.
Man, what a day. I may super glue my red handled pliers to the inside of the boat after a day like this. Good luck charms worked today.
cdx

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:10am - Nov 10,10 
Great post cdx.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:12am - Nov 10,10 
dawg
that was a day of days, never have i seen fish smash the bait like that "ever"! each time we got a hit it was as violent as someone shooting a pistol right next to you. boy and talk about a fight, such long powerful runs,acrobatic leaps, and strength. im sure those fights weren't as long as they seemed but they had me shaking from the adrenalin a long time after they were over. 4 quality fish in the boat and i was ready for bed?????????? i hate to admit it but when you called it for the day i was glad, 1 more of those ferocious fights and we would have had to call 911. you know me im the guy in the commercial whose arm falls off . im the guy whose wife calls him after 10-15-hrs and says its time to come home. im the guy that those steelies beat the hell out of. once again bill thanks for all you expert work with the boat, guys out west are paying a good $350-$400 + gratuity for 8 hours of that, you were amazing !!!!!!!!! :allah :allah :respect . ok, so after a long nap this afternoon i should be ready, when we going again????????????? oh and add dry feet for me to the mojo list :bigyuck
duck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Nov 10,10 
A great post it's hard to tell a fish story with out great pictures - as in my last one. I saw your last post and it in part inspired my trip on Sunday and Monday. THANKS. Anyone else out there if you are waiting for the weather or action to improve take it from the duck the dog and grindstone these are the days!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:45am - Nov 10,10 
billy i forgot? can you please hane lynn e-mail me all those picures from the joe trips and once again thanks for the great trip
denny

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:29pm - Nov 10,10 
Denny, please smoke my fish: one filet applewood and one filet hickory. These will be served on Thankgiving so please handle with care for display. I think you should thank Dylanapollo and his buddy Matt for not being able to come yesterday, you subbed. What kind of Luck is that. You'll get all your pics soon.
cdx

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:51pm - Nov 10,10 
Super post Dog. Like was said "great story with the pics". Thumbs up!! :allah-

And- oops! I mistakenly said not to forget your blue handled pliers- should've been Red handled! And I bet that Denny Duck fella had his 4 leaf clover too!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:35am - Nov 11,10 
bubba,
my farther had always said when he spoke of me that "i was born with a four leaf clover stuck up my a**"
duck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:43am - Nov 11,10 
Thanks Bruce, You know I tried to get you to come along sometime. Maybe my post will convince you that one can have fun and catch fish south of 120. You could bring along the dried nose of one of your chipmunks for good luck. :pat

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10pm - Nov 13,10 
WOW great report guys. Those are some pretty fish. Sounds like a good time was had by all. I sure do wish I could have made the trip but I'm also glad that Denny got out and had a good time. You guys really slammed 'em. I'll be trying to get ahold of my buddy and see if we can get together on a day so we can help you clean out the Joe :winker.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Nov 17,10 
Great Pics. I'm planning on getting out 11/26 or 11/27 and Fishing the Joe or the Galien River.
Where did you guys launch from if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks - Mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13pm - Nov 17,10 
Launched at the Sportsman club up-river from Jasper diary public launch. About mid-river. I have had things stolen from my tow vechile at Jasper launch so if you decide to go there leave nothing in your truck you can't afford to lose. Someone stole my boat trailer in 2002 that was the last time I launched at the public site!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43am - Nov 18,10 
Thanks for the info.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:40am - Nov 18,10 
I usually launch at Riverside. Some years ago we took Sea Hawk Charter and that's where he parks. Never had a problem at this public launch. You'll cross the river between exit 27 and 28 then exit at 28 and go north about 1/4 mile at the Marathon station turn left back toward the river the road comes to a T. Turn left another 1/4 mile and you are there. Find deep water and you'll find fish. Downstream less than a mile on the right an extremely high bank the river is in the 10 - 12' range. At the upstream end of that high shore where you'd expect it to get shallow that deep cut extends several 100 yards don't over look it. Hot N Tots chrome and blue and firetiger

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Nov 18,10 
Been a long time since I put in down there. To far of a drive to fish the areas I like best. I do remember some good water next to the golf course you might try also.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: