Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Sep 28,10 
I was out tossing rattlebaits[yeah big surprise] caught 1 and missed one in the channel twixt two islands. I saw a shad skittering across the surface only to end up being eaten. I changed from the rattlebait to a Spittin Image Shad[using a snap helps] and tossed out in the general area. I was doing my best to imitate that skittering movement but with all the weeds flowing, I caught weed clumps the first 5 or 6 casts. I finally got a fish that hit within seconds of the lure landing. After that it was either weeds[mostly] or get a fish while skittering on the surface. Luckily it lasted long enough for me to land 8 smallies and pick enough green stuff off my lure to qualify for a UFW card. The biggest smallie on this pattern was 18.5 inches.

After a timeout on the shore to make a call and change up some lure choices, I went out to some riffles with the rattlebait. I got some but not as many as I had in the past at this particular area of multiple riffles. While casting dowmstream, I noticed an eagle circling above the area where I had the topwater action. It went down and grabbed a shad and went into the trees, I would presume to eat the shad. I was thinking that maybe I should head back down with the topwater but decided that I had my turn and it was the eagles. I figured it might come back looking for more and if I was there it wouldn't come back. About 20 minutes or so later, I saw an eagle circling again[same one?] but it never went down after a fish as long as I watched.

On the way out from the riffle area, I hit a pretty small deeper slot on the main channel side of another island. I switched to a weighted keeper hook and a 4 inch Jack's worm. I ended up with 3 small fish and figured the bigger fish weren't using that area yet although they will later in the year.

I decided to fish a spot with some substantial overhead shade before I called it a day. I got two quick fish on the Jacks worm and switched back to a rattlebait. I got 4 more on the rattlebait before heading home for dinner.

Water temps low 60's, about 2 ft visibility, normal flow about 990 CFS. Lots of long stringy weed[vallisanera?] broke loose of flowing on the surface. Still too much algae on the bottom for effective crankbaiting, lord knows I gave it a try. Lots of carp rolling and sticking thier noses up out of the water. Seems like shad balls are forming, saw lots of small 1 to 2 inch minnows in the shallows, crawdads, what crawdads? Also saw a couple deer swimming from the mainland to an island, wonder if they know deer season starts shortly?

8 on topwater, 5 on Jack's worm and 12 on rattlebaits, mostly in the 10 to 15 inch range.

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Sep 28,10 
Thanks Norm :jump

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 05:30am - Sep 29,10 
Nice hear that eagles are using the area, those shad may be a snack for them. Would of thought they would have preferred the smallie's.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Sep 29,10 
Bill

The shad are prolly easier to catch, especially if they are forming shad balls near the surface as I suspect they are.

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: