Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49pm - Aug 7,10 
SInce the Dupage is high yet again I went to Mathessien State Park today with a friend. We didnt get out there until around 1pm and fished roughly to 5pm. Rough day due to a really late night, being dehydrated and forgeting the water in the car; it was HOT in that canyon. We each managed around a dozen smallies each (I really should start keeping track and keep notes). Most were dinks with a few 10-12 inchers in between. Most were caught with helgramites and chigger craws. Right when I told my buddy I wanted to call it a day and start walking back I picked this one up which estimate was around 17-18 inches. Picked up I think one more on the way to the car but that was it. Going back tomorrow with two friends I fish with every Sunday. I'll keep ya posted.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07pm - Aug 7,10 
Thanks for sharing. Nice bronze back. I've had a few late starts myself because of that! :rotflmao

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14am - Aug 8,10 
Very nice smallie, seems like you always manage to find them regardless of conditions, thanks for the report.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01pm - Aug 8,10 
Way to go MC !! That's a pretty fish. I'll have add that spot to my list of wanna go to places. :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:13pm - Aug 8,10 
Great job out there..

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:17pm - Aug 8,10 
Nice job. Did you run into any squirrel hunters on the way in, or here any gun shots? I've been out squirrel hunting a couple time at mathissen state park since the season opened on the first.

Harley

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:43am - Aug 9,10 
Thanks guys! Michigander I did not run into any hunters and I am now kicking myself because I honestly didnt even think about squirrel hunting while I was out there. I have never tried it and this year I am planning on giving it a try. Dove hunting did cross my mind and I am now planning on going back to do a morning wade and afternoon hunt come September. I had a pretty good day today too with 3 nice fish and one nice one lost all on topwater. I will put up a report tomorrow just too tired to mess with the pictures tonight.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:43pm - Aug 9,10 
Went back on Sunday and had a pretty good day. 3 more quality fish and one very nice one that broke off all on topwater too. It has been a long time since I have fished topwater and it is as exciting as I remember. I made a mistake I have been trying to get away from which is forgeting to set my drag after trying to pull a snag out. I use fireline and was fishing a chug bug when I had my first strike; I went to set the hook and SNAP. That fished was jumping out of the water for the next 30+ mins trying to shake that lure and you could hear the ratlle clear as day everythime. I then switched to a heddon pop'n image and picked up 3 more the best around 16 or 17". My buddies were too far away to help out with a pic so I tried to do the best that I could on my own. That would be it for me that day.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:21pm - Aug 9,10 
Sweet !!! :drink :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29pm - Aug 11,10 
Awesome! Glad you were able to get out.

Your big smallie is at what I call the 2nd bend. I caught a 19.5"er just down stream of there. If you go further down stream (on the canyon side), there is some rapids. On the canyon side there is a massive eddy next to some very swift water and the rapids - that is a BIG FISH spot :wink: It takes a while to get there, I would resist the urge to fish and would head down to that eddy and then work my way back.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34pm - Aug 11,10 
Water was very low but walked down to about where the cement company property begins ran out of time to go any further. I will be going back to do a morning fish and afternoon dove hunt. Thanks for the tips you put me on a gem of a spot!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05pm - Aug 31,10 
Hey MC can you give me some general directions as to were to park and fish in this area. Not looking for you honey holes. I can find those on my own. I just need to know where to park to acess the river. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:08pm - Aug 31,10 
T-bo wrote:
Hey MC can you give me some general directions as to were to park and fish in this area. Not looking for you honey holes. I can find those on my own. I just need to know where to park to acess the river. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Park at the River Picnic Area up close to the tree line. There are trail heads with maps going into the woods. Work your way down to the river. It's there,... just keep going.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:10pm - Aug 31,10 
T-bo I have no secret holes here only fished here one weekend so far. Great place though and I will be going back for a morning fish and afternoon wade this month. Check out this thread; I got my info from Razzo and it was a huge help:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=43813&start=0

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Aug 31,10 
Ah I see Razzo beat me to it! Thanks again Razzo I had a great trip out there!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54am - Sep 1,10 
Mac, how does the Vermillion compare with the Dupage depth wise and current? Is it a sandy bottom? It really looks like nice territory so if you are not catching fish (my habit) at least you are enjoying the scenery.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:02am - Sep 1,10 
When I was out there is was VERY low. Current was about the same as the Dupage and it is a very rocky bottom; very tough wade in some spots but worth it. There were a couple deeper pools with more of a gravel bottom. The scenery cannot be beat it is absolutely beautiful.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:42pm - Sep 1,10 
As mentioned, the substrate is VERY rocky with massive boulders that will be fun to wade around.

From the river area park where you will enter the river, about the 2nd or 3rd bend down, there is a massive eddy (east bank?) with some rippin current in the main channel and some rappids just above it. That there is big fish territory. It was my last picture in the link above.

Rebel we craws (traditional & balck/red) will clean up on smaller smallies, small Case Hellgies worked well too (pumkin/chartruese). A night crawler tipped on a red circle hook, under a float does nicely too in the large slack pools that are formed by the massive boulders. Drift/float along the current seams. Your usual jig & twisters will work too. Bring a few of your favorite cranks that rattle too.

Dobson flys can be found on the shoreline and you know what that means - hellgies will work.

Try to keep your gear to a minimum so you can go on a long wade. Stay hydrated ;)

Have fun and report back with lots of pictures :)

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: