Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56pm - Mar 12,10 
Hey Guys,

I need to replace a couple shimano stradic 1000's on my two UL trout stream rods. Stradics are a poor choice for me as they don't have sealed bearings and don't like getting dunked. My reels will take abuse due to the type of wading I like to do.

I like the 1000 size. I have switched to Diawa Tierra reels on a couple bigger setups and I love them. The Tierras only go down to a 1500 which is a little bigger than I want on a UL rod.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to hear from hard core River Rats as they know first hand the abuse my reels will take.

Thanks,
Russ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:18pm - Mar 12,10 
I'm not a hard core river rat but how about the daiwa 700 ss tournament whisker. Back in the day I went to purchase a stradic, and the employee working there talked me into the 1300 and it's been a good to me. Hope this helps. Good luck, hope u find a good reel.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01pm - Mar 19,10 
I'll second the Daiwa SS's. Awesome reel for the money, but the drag is not sealed or water proof. Razzo, I read that the NEW Stadic's have waterproof drags. Check them out. Check out the Stradic CF1, or something like that. They make a 1000 and a 2500. I think it might be a nice reel.

><(((">

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59am - Mar 20,10 
I'll chime in for a third endorsement of SST reels. The best all around reels I've ever bought. I own 7 of the them 5 are 1600 and 2 are 2600 for salmon casting in the Manistee. I have used the 1300 for trout too. They are indestructable And have the never fail bail they don't seem to mind a dunk in the water from time to time. Bought most of them 15 years ago and the only part that seems to break is the bail wire snaps after about 100,000 casts, which is easy to replace. I keep an extra bail or two around the house for quick fixin. I did try the more expensive Team Diawas once and broke the bail spring in about three hours, they replaced the reel with another reel and I broke that bail spring in one day. Ended up trading down to the SST. If you use plugs to fish trout you know you often have to snap the bail over and start crankin almost the exact second the plug hits the water. These can handle that abuse. P.S. What's happening over on the Joe. Was there last week and it was slow all fish moving trough.
Dog

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:15am - Mar 20,10 
Russ, got one of these Okuma's and while it's old, still works like new. wsj's is not the sealed drag (they did not have it back then) but this one is.........

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0042935121787a&navCount=1&podId=0042935&parentId=cat20333&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20333&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true

Or this one may work.
[url]
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true[/url]

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:23pm - Apr 22,10 
Thanks for the input guys :)

If Diawa made the Tierra in a 1000, I would not have had to search as I love them. The clerk at Bass pro sold me on the Abu Garcia Soron. Its got a true sealed drag and is made for saltwater environments with minimal to no plastic moving parts.

Tempted to through my stradics in the trash. I did get one of them professionally cleaned (cause I only mess em up when I open em). I'll keep one of them for a back up trout rod. Just gotta be extra careful not to dunk it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:49pm - Apr 22,10 
If you are thinking of trashing of your Stradics, I'd be happy to help you get rid of them! :)

As for reel suggestions, I'd say the SST are the way to go. Never heard anyone complain about them, and the ones from 20 years ago are still going strong across the globe.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:41pm - Apr 23,10 
ss tounaments for sure ...or any of the penn reels

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: