Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55pm - Apr 8,07 

Got out to the creek today and didn't come up with anything. The creek was really turning on from about two weeks ago until this cold front came through. I was catching a lot of nice sized Crappie and Largemouth right below the dam and a few creek chubs a little farther down. I also caught a nice sized yellow bass that must have come in from the DesPlaines. People have no idea the variety of fish that comes from this creek! Haven't hooked into any walleye this year, but a few of the guys I've talked to out there have. All the fish I've caught out there this year have been caught on a split shot rig or a jig n twister. It really hasn't made a difference if I've been using live bait or artificials. Hopefully the weather will warm up and the fish will get active again. Good fishing to all. Tim

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Apr 8,07 
Howdy!

If you ever see a 20-yr old looking kid either fishing off shore or wading in the general vicinity, 6ft in height, carrying a tan chest pack, 2 rods max. and usually wearing a hat of some-sort, don't be afraid to say hi.

I fish that area lots - almost daily during off-time from school... Other places too on this water... Both near, and far.

However, in warmer months - beware of the men who sit next to buckets - dam area and the park in general. Once they acquire the skills to catch those Crappies you've been finding, it's over. I still don't understand their logic and reasoning for wanting to eat contaminated fish, Carp included. It's like trying to understand gibberish [huh?] when they explain it to you if you talk to them. But whatever - less stunted fish (green sunfish & bluegills) and contaminated Carp full of PCB's for me to catch!

see ya.

andrew

Oh yea! Kevin, if you manage to see this, and if it somehow warms back up to normal water & air temps within the next few weeks, we should meet up for a change!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:54pm - Apr 15,07 
I now work just up the street from there.

When I lived in Elmhurst, I fished it quite a bit.

Caught walleye and pike right off the parking lot.

When they stocked it with smallies years ago, there were a few years of good smallie fishing. I haven't fished there in years, aiming to fix that now, but an angler I stopped to talk to last week says he hasn't seen any lately.

I stop there every day to smoke a cheap cigar and basically wandering around wondering if I feel like fishing. I'll keep an eye out for you guys.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:10pm - Apr 15,07 
For the past 2-3yrs, I've been fishing the place about 50-100 days a year - not just the Mill area. Last year, I think I only caught maybe 5 SM. Bass throughout the places I fished. Year before, just three.

That stocking they did 10yrs ago was a wasted effort, but a good test. There was no chance in hell they'd survive through all the run-off that gets dumped into the water after heavy rains.

Ken, if I see you there, I'm sure I'll recognize you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:53pm - Apr 16,07 
About 4 years after they stocked it, I talked to Bob Rung from the DNR right after they did one of their shocking surveys.

They had already started disappearing. I had also been catching a few that had deformities. He confirmed that too.

On the Fox site I sometimes catch grief for coming out so strongly on protecting the waterway. This creek and the Des Plaines, which I used to live near as a kid, are perfect examples of what the Fox and its creeks can turn into if people aren't careful.

But what do I know.

I'll keep an eye out for you Andrew.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: