Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:13am - Apr 7,07 
Tues: Wade and bank fished 7 locations for 4 hrs on my favorite stream. Air temps 70, cloudy with showers, SW winds 25mph, USGS 3.4 falling, clarity 4", water temp 56, heavy insect, carp and minnow activity. Threw a 5" twister/grub on a 1/8th oz keeperhook into 1-4ft deep current breaks, eddies and slack water areas with a bottom contour mix of rock and soft material with a steady bottom ticking retrieve. 10 smallmouth 11"-15", 1-12" rockbass, 2 walleye 20"-26".

Steady action with the bass out near the breaks and the rockbass/walleye in the dead slack.

The 26" walleye is the largest I've ever caught. Both were unspawned females and very fat, thick and heavy. The 26" put up a good fight. Any walleye are a plus for me since I don't throw many crankbaits and I pick up a few every year on twisters. I was expecting more bass. maybe should of pulled out a crankbait, but overall, a good day.

Fri: Wade and bank fished 4 locations for 7 hrs. Air temps 34, partly sunny, NW winds 35mph, USGS 2.7 falling, clarity 9", water temp 46. Threw a 3" straight worm on a 1/8th oz keeperhook into 1-4ft deep current breaks, eddies and slack water areas with a bottom contour mix of rock and soft material with a VERY slow do nothing/deadstick retrieve. 32 smallmouth total, 27-12"-16", 3-17", 2-18".

When I stuck my temp gauge in the water and saw 46, 10 degrees in 2 days is alot so, I knew I needed to downsize to something thin, small and slow. A 3" straight worm is perfect.

Action was excellent all day with the bass sitting in the deadest, slack water areas, as far from the current as possible. The actual hits were decent but the bass were pretty sluggish as far as taking the plastic, but with some enticing, I was able to get them to move off with the bait. Patience was a key.

I had lots of pick up and drops or just carrying the tail. If I could of hooked all the hits and pick ups, I may have caught over 50. The bass looked great, had great color and were very fat. All fought well, even the smaller 12" that looked like mini footballs.

Overall a good couple trips.

MJ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:57pm - Apr 7,07 
Thanks for the report MJ,find them enjoyable and educational.Keep em coming.
Don't fish the river much until June when the cooling lakes slow.Love them smallies though,not much on wading (bad knee)Usually bird pk area from boat.
I noticed no 20"ers.I 'm wondering from my experiances if alot of so called 20's are really 18's?Just a thought. Good fishin JIML 8)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:40am - Apr 8,07 
JimL wrote:
Thanks for the report MJ,find them enjoyable and educational.Keep em coming.
Don't fish the river much until June when the cooling lakes slow.Love them smallies though,not much on wading (bad knee)Usually bird pk area from boat.
I noticed no 20"ers.I 'm wondering from my experiances if alot of so called 20's are really 18's?Just a thought. Good fishin JIML 8)

Jim L.,
LOL! You are dead on. I've seen "anglers" holding 15" smallmouth and say they are 18". I've seen guys tell me a 17" is 3lbs. LOL!

Most anglers don't fish the correct water to catch 18" smallmouth, let alone a 20". Average anglers get lucky and pick off 18" now and then, but most have no clue.

When I was fishing alot, well over 100 days a season, I was averaging a 20" about every 10-12 trips or around 10 a season. I prefer the late spawn, early summer, summer conditions.

A 17" smallmouth is a quality fish, and for a few years I kept track of 17" or better. I was catching a little over 250 a year 17" or better. This took over 100 trips a year.

There is a dramatic fall off as you get near a 20" stream bass. There also is a huge difference in behavior and preference of water between a 17" and a 20".

I have caught 1 over 22", a handful over 21", a few dozen over 20" and then many numerous from 19" down.

I guess my point is, 1#-you must fish and be on the water quite alot. 2#-you must fish the correct type of water at the correct level and temp. 3#-you must present a bait/lure that a large smallmouth prefers.

June is a good time to start, as the bass are starting around then on the crawfish bite.

MJ

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: