Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:39am - Mar 15,07 
Weather Conditions: Warm to cooling, air temps 65-75 dropping, wind 15-30mph W-SW-N, sunny to hazy/cloudy.

Stream Conditions: Many people out enjoying the weather. Water clarity 8" stained, 3.2 USGS slowly dropping, water temps 44-49. Some areas of ice piled up in along the bank with lots of insect, carp and some minnow activity, with other animals along the banks.

Fishing Technique: Waded and bank fished 7 different locations for a total of 9 hours over 2 days. Threw a 5" black twistertail grub with a 1/8oz keeperhook into currentbreaks, eddies and slack water pockets that were 2-4ft deep with a mix of rock, wood and soft bottoms with slow steady swimming bottom ticking retrieve.

Fish Total: 29 Smallmouth bass from 12"-18" and 2 walleye 15". 2 bass were 17" and 2 were 18". The 18" bass were around 2 1/2 lbs. Bass were located in the dead slack areas of the current breaks and eddies. No bass were caught in or near the current breaks or boil/swirl areas of the eddies. Bass seemed to be neutral even though water temps were on the rise. Bass took some time to take and move off with the plastic. Most bass were males with a couple females mixed in.

Overall View: These were my first trips of the year and it felt good to get some sun and enjoy the weather. The bite was pretty good and the bass looked healthy, fought well, and had some nice color already. The rain/snow should slow things down some, but the season has finally started.

MJ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11pm - Mar 15,07 
MJ,

That is an excellent post packed with tons of very useful details. I have been going into withdrawal waiting for trout season to open. I am on vacation next week (laying down some hardwood floors), I think I will be doing a little bass fishing next week. I've got a southwest michigan stream with some nice smallies that I have neglected for a long time. Thanks for the inspiration.

CYL, Russ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:57pm - Mar 15,07 
Great post MJ,you must have some killer spots.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07am - Mar 16,07 
Razzo wrote:
MJ,

That is an excellent post packed with tons of very useful details. I have been going into withdrawal waiting for trout season to open. I am on vacation next week (laying down some hardwood floors), I think I will be doing a little bass fishing next week. I've got a southwest michigan stream with some nice smallies that I have neglected for a long time. Thanks for the inspiration.

CYL, Russ

Russ,
Anymore, I just enjoy getting out. Don't get me wrong, I want to catch some fish, but as I have gotten older, it's just nice to be out and enjoy the outdoors.

MJ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:22am - Mar 16,07 
JimL wrote:
Great post MJ,you must have some killer spots.

JimL,
Thanks. I had years where I fished over 100 days a year and kept detailed logs. I have seasonal locations, and can follow the bass movement throughout the entire year.

It boils down to water levels and water temps. I just go by feel and memory now.

The last couple years I haven't fished my favorite stream as much because of work and access to a private lake with largemouth and crappies.

Boat fishing is much easier on the body, than wading and bank running.

MJ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:31am - Mar 16,07 
MJ just needs to get some sun on those old bones is all .

Nice report , I've been finding fish near the little flows filled with runoff .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56am - Mar 28,07 
i live in brookfield and the creek is in my back yard. im about a quarter mile upstream from where the creek hits the desplaines. i was wondering if ne one knows good spots to hit on the creek in my area

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: