Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:49pm - Jan 25,07 
you ever catch bass on banjo minnows :? ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:58pm - Jan 25,07 
I think they just catch fishermen and not fish. It caught me and I never caught one fish using it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:48pm - Jan 25,07 
Got the set as a gift. What a bunch of junk. Sold it at the garage sale for $5. I think I ripped the guy off.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35pm - Jan 25,07 
I agree with the 'they catch more fish than fisherman' post. BUT....

When they first came out I got a set. I think I was in my late teens and didn't know any better. But it is said that any lure will catch a fish if that's what the fish wants. That being said, my dad and I went on a trip to Bull Shoals, Arkansas for bass (or whatever we could catch). And I was just dying to try these out because I believed the commercials and swore up and down to my old man that I'd be pullin' em in left and right.

Well we got there and fished for a day or so with no real luck. Then I remembered that I had these things in my box and hooked one on. We fished some sheer rock faces that went straight down to around 20', made a shelf and then dropped again to 50+. It was mostly luck I'm sure, but I ended up pulling fish in like crazy! I was (i think) hopping that little Banjo Minnow along the shelf and then dropping it off the side into the abyss and the fish were just killing it. Big crappie, largemouth and smallmouth.

My dad said it was the damndest thing he'd ever seen. And when we got back to the 'resort', my dad told the old timer 'guide' about it. We ate dinner and got back in the boat and he followed us out to the spot. We all tied on a Banjo and fished and kept up with the same action as earlier.

The next day, and every day for the rest of our trip, we headed out to that spot......never to see a fish again with the Banjo or any other lure.

Long story short, everything works sometimes. You just have to find that time.

Oh, and I also picked up a few crappie one year at Shabonna using the Banjo over by the old stick-up trees across the lake from the launch. Another case of having tried everything in my box and then the Banjo.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:38pm - Jan 25,07 
Oh, and just for the sake of talking about lures that catch fishermen....

I bought a set of those Flying Lures when they came out. The only time I ever caught anything with them was in Canada, right after I got them. I will say that Northern Pike seem to have a love hate relationship with them. I think it's the way the Pike follow them in and when you stop reeling they drift backwards right into the face of the fish. It wasn't intentional, but it worked like a charm. I lost pretty much the whole set, but it was worth it. Those little rubber lures don't last long with a mouthful of teeth chomping them. :)

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: